PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Gerardo,

Not so fast, I started Friday night - I'm just getting around to posting! It was not terribly hard; it's only a waterline after all, and no laminating. You do have to be careful about warping and bowing. And the deck was a real mess after I put it on, all wrinkly with bumps and valleys, since there was no sturdy laminated materal underneath. I put it upside down and filled all the crevices with my paint bottles and put heavy books on those and left it to sit. It's much better now, though not perfect.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Looking sweet Rick! I think you got that hull together in record time and it looks great to boot!
Chris
Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great start, Rick! Thanks for the heads up about the deck... I will have to remember that when I start my JSC ship!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM

Just a little progress. Main superstructure first, then most of the fore superstructure in place.

I have noticed 3 things about this model that I don't like. First, there are color registration problems here and there. Not a big deal, but still... Second, parts fit is kinda hit and miss. Makes for some things that lean in ways that they shouldn't! Lastly, the deck and top of the main superstructure have no solid support under them. Thus the surfaces tend to be "wavy" and it's hard to stick walls and such to them solidly and without deforming them further. Just the nature of these older JSC kits I think, as others have noted similar issues. It won't be my best looking model by a long shot, but this is a "learning experience". Yeah, that's it...
Attached Thumbnails
Build: USS North Carolina, JSC, 1:400-super01.jpg   Build: USS North Carolina, JSC, 1:400-super02.jpg  

Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Eternal Member

In spite of the faults it still looks good
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Gotta agree, looks good!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Looks impressive anyway, Rick.

Looking forward for more. In fact, I'm thinking on getting this kit too.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work, Rick (not surprising, given the quality of all your other models).

I am convinced that large deck surfaces of JSC models require strengthening. I started a Card CVE model and then realized that the deck was so wavy the pilots would get airsick during the take-off run. I bought another one and intend to reinforce the flight deck with 0.5mm card. In your case, the use of weights seems to have solved the problem.

Incidentally, I am currently building a Digital Navy Admirable-class minesweeper (AM-157, USS Caravan) and found some waviness in the deck there, too. I plan to finish it as a learning experience, but intend to build another one with reinforced decks (plus other changes based on my "lessons learned"). I'm watching your North Carolina build very closely -- partly from the pure pleasure of seeing another of your fine models, but also because I am sure to learn a lot in the process.

Don B.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks Don, I doubt you'll learn much from THIS build!

As it happens, someone suggested what I should have done was to reinforce under the main superstructure deck once it was on (using wood or carboard strips) to bing it flat. Shoulda though of that... :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Excellent work, Rick (not surprising, given the quality of all your other models).

I am convinced that large deck surfaces of JSC models require strengthening. I started a Card CVE model and then realized that the deck was so wavy the pilots would get airsick during the take-off run. I bought another one and intend to reinforce the flight deck with 0.5mm card. In your case, the use of weights seems to have solved the problem.

Incidentally, I am currently building a Digital Navy Admirable-class minesweeper (AM-157, USS Caravan) and found some waviness in the deck there, too. I plan to finish it as a learning experience, but intend to build another one with reinforced decks (plus other changes based on my "lessons learned"). I'm watching your North Carolina build very closely -- partly from the pure pleasure of seeing another of your fine models, but also because I am sure to learn a lot in the process.

Don B.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Looks great to me, Rick!

Crisp and neat joints, no hint that I can tell of the wavy deck causing problems with the bulkheads on the superstructure. I have faced similar problems with some of the JSC builds, but they're not insurmountable and can be made to come out quite well, as your build shows. What type of glue did you use to build up the hull and attach the main deck? I use white glue almost exclusively and that some times gives me fits if I don't watch the amount of glue that I apply to the large areas, so I normally use a glue stick for that part of the construction...still can give you a bit of warping while it glues so using the paint bottles to weigh it down is a great idea!

Quite an outstanding job, if you ask me...

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense