PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Yeah, just plain Aileens. And yes, it does cause the issues with making things wavy over long spans. But I've tried gluestick on stuff and don't like it, so I deal with the white glue problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Looks great to me, Rick!

Crisp and neat joints, no hint that I can tell of the wavy deck causing problems with the bulkheads on the superstructure. I have faced similar problems with some of the JSC builds, but they're not insurmountable and can be made to come out quite well, as your build shows. What type of glue did you use to build up the hull and attach the main deck? I use white glue almost exclusively and that some times gives me fits if I don't watch the amount of glue that I apply to the large areas, so I normally use a glue stick for that part of the construction...still can give you a bit of warping while it glues so using the paint bottles to weigh it down is a great idea!

Quite an outstanding job, if you ask me...

Cheers!
Jim

Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM

BB 55 is in Dry Dock

At this point I'm shelving this build. As I reached the back of the main superstructure and tried to build upon it, I ran into a real mess. The deck was very uneven and I could not correct it by this point. Then the next parts to go on did not fit well at all and once down on the deck were just a horrendous mish-mash! I can't even stand to look at it.

I approached this model as a learning experience and thus was not expecting the quality of build I usually try for, but this is nowhere close to acceptable to me, so I'm shelving it, perhaps permanently. This one is just not proving to be fun, and that's why I do this, so I'm moving on to other things...

Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Too bad, but sometimes you just have to do that.

If it's any consolation, I'm sure I'm not alone in having enjoyed the build up to this point, admired the quality of the craftsmanship, and tucked away a few lessons learned.

Many thanks, Rick. I look forward to whatever comes next.

Don
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I know what you mean, Rick. Sometimes it is better to move on and not worry about it... not always to come back!! I've got those lying around... that 1:200 Isuzu for instance. Just too big for me to deal with really.

There are lots of models to built out there and there's no reason to kill yourself over one you don't feel good about. There's too much personal emotion invested in a kit to force yourself to build.

Carl
Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sorry to hear this one did not turn out well, Rick. Best to move on.... I just started a JSC 1/400 ship... Keep my fingers crossed...
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Good luck! One thing I've learned is that these small scale decks that are not laminated need something under them for support. Someone mentioned running cardboard or wood strips under the spans to keep them from getting the wavey's, which would be a really good idea. I was just too late for me to do that once I'd already glued it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashster View Post
Sorry to hear this one did not turn out well, Rick. Best to move on.... I just started a JSC 1/400 ship... Keep my fingers crossed...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I may have already gone astray.... The formers face the bottom of the ship and there is a solid base for the deck (I have not glued it all together yet, but it is too late to go back...). We shall see how it plays out...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Anyway you tried, Rick... bad if you didn't.

Waiting for your next model.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Fear not, Rick, we've probably all gone down that path; personally, I've been down that road many, many times! This is one reason I scan my models before building, because invariably something goes astray and it's a do over. You might catch a comment in a few of my build threads about having to start over, sometimes a few times in the same project...I'm a slow learner. It's not a waste, though, because something is gained from the experience that helps the next time around, like your comment about reinforcing the decks...something for me to keep in mind if I ever try this model.

I did enjoy your progress very much and hope you will consider tackling this ship again in the future, but only if you want to...after all, we do these models for our own enjoyment. In any event, I look forward to seeing your next build, they are without exception wonderful to see, including this one.

Cheers!
Jim