PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work, Rick, and a beautifully well-ordered and attractive work space.

Don
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
Here is a couple of shots of the laser cut frame work for the forward part of the Bridge. The object it is setting on is a 1/2" thick 6X6 piece of bronze glass. Great for press work/lamination and for use as a photo pedestal. But is very hard to come up with! The dark color of the glass is perfect as a back ground for photographing objects small enough to set on it. The knife you keep seeing is my favorite and I have plenty to choose from, it is a Tajima model C-390, all stainless steel w/30 degree blades (snap off). If you have the ability to find and order one, do so, you will not be sorry you did. Rick
I have seen the c-390 on ebay, but where do you get replacement blades? I haven't seen them.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I have seen the c-390 on ebay, but where do you get replacement blades? I haven't seen them.
I got mine from ebay as well and it does come with a 9 piece blade of which I am still using almost a year since I received, thing seems to take a lick before you have to break off for the next cut tip. I have 3 tips left on the blade that came w/knife. I was however lucky enough to be able to get a pack of blades from the fella I bought the knife from. If possible, I would go ahead and get the handle w/blade and just keep watching for replacement blades. As I stated, I just like the feel and the way I can free hand cut w/this instrument. OLFA also makes a 30 degree angle blade knife as well, blades are easier to get too, but does not feel as comfortable as the Tajima. Hope I have answered your question.:DRick
Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Tajima 30 ° snap off utility cutter knife blades 10 pc on eBay.ca (item 380174016552 end time 01-Jan-10 15:39:41 EST)

you can get blades from ebay at the link above. I just ordered some yesterday.

Kersaint is looking good. how are the formers for this kit?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM

Hello B-Manic, you beat me to it. I just got off of eBay and found the knife and blades at the same source, heck ordered another handle and 3 more pkgs of blades. The laser cut frame seems to be about the standard fair, it is easy to remove from the carrier sheets, but you do have to sand/adjust a slight amount. But overall, very pleased with. I love building ships, but I hate the lamination/cut out process for the frames! I therefore will if available, will purchase the laser cut frame for what ever vessel I can find. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.:DRick
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
Hello B-Manic, you beat me to it. I just got off of eBay and found the knife and blades at the same source, heck ordered another handle and 3 more pkgs of blades. The laser cut frame seems to be about the standard fair, it is easy to remove from the carrier sheets, but you do have to sand/adjust a slight amount. But overall, very pleased with. I love building ships, but I hate the lamination/cut out process for the frames! I therefore will if available, will purchase the laser cut frame for what ever vessel I can find. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.:DRick
I hear ya about the laminating. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys
Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 AM

As "Tajima" sounds Japanese name I checked it out on the web and found Tajima knife is available in Japan. Thanks for the info. I need nice tool as well to get my fingers back on track in addition to see your full steam build.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Well another Christmas has came and went, time to settle back and catch your breath. Had some time to work on the frame a little today. Glued the ships frame plate to glass w/rubber cement. The I lined/number all locations to keep everything in order. Sanded ea. piece and glued with Uhu liquid (green twist cap). Again using the method taught to me from Goldenbear. Upper frame is curing out, as soon as is set up, 24hrs will remove with a butter knife, roll the contact cement off w/finger pressure and assemble the bottom half of the frame. Did notice something about this laser cut frame I have not seen before, the cut line was jagged, requiring careful sanding. You have to be very careful not to remove too much material. Everything looks straight and tight.:DRick
Attached Thumbnails
French Destroyer Kersaint-kersaint-frame-glued-008.jpg   French Destroyer Kersaint-kersaint-frame-glued-006.jpg   French Destroyer Kersaint-kersaint-frame-glued-005.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
As "Tajima" sounds Japanese name I checked it out on the web and found Tajima knife is available in Japan. Thanks for the info. I need nice tool as well to get my fingers back on track in addition to see your full steam build.
Hello YuG, hope you found one of these. I can and do assure it will help to keep your hand from hurting. I have a problem w/right hand that will cause my hand to feel as if asleep if I keep applying pressure/same movement. After purchasing this knife, I cut all day w/o a problem w/my hand. And yes this wonderful cutting tool is well made from your country.:DRick
Google Adsense