PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
R.F. Iéna, 1898, 1:250

Iéna was a French battleship launched in 1898 and destroyed in dry dock at Toulon in a tragic explosion in 1907. 200 sailors and dockyard workers were killed in the explosion and fire that followed. Later she was patch up to make her seaworthy and expended as a target.

Basically Iéna is a somewhat larger Charlemagne, possessing identical main battery and heavier secondary armament.

I have reverted to 1:250 scale for the practical reason that it needs few sheets of paper and much less ink to print. Also, I dislike the effect of 1:200 for portraying Hoche and feel that 1:250 scale gives a better impression of the ship. I won't try to explain that any further.

The first photos show the Rev. 2 upper hull framing - final is Rev. 4+ - and the final, Rev. 2 lower hull framing. The upper hull framework is spot glued together first and left to dry overnight with weights on it to give a nice flat base. The lower hull framework is built onto the base of the upper, with clamps to hold everything together. Although the first photo shows only a couple of clamps I want to point out that while the glue is setting on the two halves I had about 30 clamps holding it together.

It has taken about a month of work to get the hull framing done correctly so far.
Attached Thumbnails
-pc060040.jpg   -pc060041.jpg  

Last edited by dansls1; 12-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
The first photo shows the end of my efforts to fit the hull skins. There is considerable trial-and-error necessary at the end of this design piece. Trial skins are attached to the Rev. 2 upper hull with the Rev. 4/final upper hull in the background.

One of the last two photos shows decking set into place. It is no where near ready to actually be applied.

The last photo shows a peculiar practice of mine that I find helps a great deal while building ships with tumblehome, although it would probably help and ship build. I cut, bend and glue in small pieces of waste 1mm cardboard to broaden the bases of the hull cross frames. This gives a better gluing surface while also easing the problem of "starving dog"-ishness.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
-pc170041.jpg   -pc180041.jpg   -pc180040.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Thumbs up

Welcome back Carl. This looks like a very interesting subject. I am standing by to be amazed.

BTW - I like what you have done with the lower hull. I look forward to seeing how it supports the skins.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good start, GB. Nice hull & deck details.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
There You Are . . . ,

Hi Carl,

Glad you're back at it.

Best Regards & Happy Holidays,

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Bravo Carl!
Having done all my work in 1/250 scale, I agree with you on that score. The color of the decks in the second to the last image is sharp. It looks like you are running on all cylinders.
Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Carl,
It's a real pleasure to watch you at work on those very unique and interesting ships.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Glad to see ya Carl, and what a great choice for your next project. I too agree w/the scale for these ships, does seem to fit them better.:DRick
Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful ships and beautiful work, as always, Carl.

And more useful techniques, as well.

Don
Old 12-19-2009, 04:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
Welcome back Carl. I am pleased that I will be able to watch you create and build on your new thread, R.F. Iena. I have the pleasure of owning Lavisier and HMS Victoria that you have available from Gremir Models. Ironclads or Pre-Dreadnouts are of special interest for me. I have been a member of this forum for almost a year now but have not posted, just read and learned. But when I found that you had started a new thread I had to let you no how pleased I am.

Thanks,
Hambone
(Dennis)
Google Adsense