PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very interesting and informative build, Barry. I do admire you scratchbuilders! Canopus seems to be shaping up well. I'm afraid I can offer nothing regarding Pepakura and can only cheer from the sidelines.

You say you have a Boeing clipper under construction (or built) as well as this Shorts Empire flying boat? Are there pictures of it? As I mentioned in an earlier post, both the BOAC Empires and Boeing 314s flew in and out of Baltimore harbor in the 1940s when I was a little kid there and I love both of those beautiful flying boats.

Don
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boeing

Hi Don

Everybody else will be sick of this one. I think there is a thread on Cardmodels.net
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-pic_00122.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Wow! I like it! Somehow, I missed the thread for this one and I will certainly look for it..

Gosh, they were magnificent airplanes. I LOVE flying boats. The 314 and the Empires and the other streamlined ships were beautiful (Coronado, Mars, Kawanishi Emily, Sunderland, and so on), but I also love the fomby, many-strutted flying boats, as well.

You sure pick great subjects.

Don B.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member

Wings

Looks ok in the photos but the left wing is really a bit of a disaster at the wing root. I tried trebling up the root former and stuck it to the fuselage and then glued the wing skin over it seemed to have worked but of course I managed to knock it out of place and did not notice before the glue dried. The right wing was built to plan B. I cut the rib to leave a 1 mm gap and glued the back half to the wing skin. I then put a 1 mm keeper strip into the gap and glued in the front half of the rib quickly followed by wrapping the skin around the rib to the trailing edge, pulling the keeper out before the glue set. The whole wing was then pushed over the spar and glued to the fuselage. Not an elegant solution I know but what the heck you can judge for yourselves it needs a total rework anyway.

Next trick is to check the engine nacelles for fit which will not be so easy to get around.

Fuselage looks a bit better sitting at the right flight attitude.

I must admit I wish I had built the Boeing this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020290.jpg   Odd updates-p1020291.jpg   Odd updates-p1020292.jpg  
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Eternal Member

Nacelles

The nacelles actually fit pity I did not turn them inside out to loose the black edges
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020295.jpg   Odd updates-p1020297.jpg   Odd updates-p1020293.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Eternal Member

Tail

To carry on with the boredom not much more to go Tail and fin are on looks alright from a distance as usual pinned in place with a cocktail stick as it is at 90 degrees. Looks something like an Empire from well back.

Needs fairings on the fuselage joints very small ones probably make it look worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020299.jpg   Odd updates-p1020300.jpg   Odd updates-p1020301.jpg  
Old 11-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wotcher, bazzer!

For sure, I never tire of seeing your creations, mate. This looks to be another inspired creation...where do you find the time? Thank goodness you do, I could watch your build threads for ever!

Keep at it mate, she's coming out brilliantly!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Jim mate my wife sends me off to the back room with my bits of card and my fags cos I ain't much use at anything else good innit !!

Glad you found a few minutes to stop by.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 AM

Barry -- I'm quickly checking email at the Magic Brain in Cape May before heading out to fly kites on the beach with the grandsons and peeked in at this thread to check developments. It's a beauty! Great to see this flying boat take shape. More later, Don B.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member

Engines

In spite of the poor building I thought I might as well finish this one off. It actually has some promise needs a total rework though. It is not that far off looking like an Empire and I have wanted to build one for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020305.jpg   Odd updates-p1020306.jpg   Odd updates-p1020307.jpg  
Google Adsense