PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Odd updates

I have all sorts of bits of unfinished bits I have started to go back and try and finish them. For ages I could never get the bridge and fire control director right on HMS Starling and I finally found a picture that sorted out the mistakes and as it is one of my favourites it would be nice to finally finish her. I guess only a ship nut would notice the differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-render1.jpg   Odd updates-render2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Eternal Member

Empire

Another one I keep trying to do unfortunately the fuselage is evil to unfold but hope springs eternal
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-render1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Barry --

I'd like to see you pursue both of these. The Black Swan class sloops were excellent and historic ships. I always thought they packed a terrific punch (six 4-inch DP and 12 20mm Oerlikons) on a small hull. I presume you picked Starling because it was Captain Frederic John Walker's flagship when he commanded 2d Support Group in 1943?

And the Empire class flying boats were also beautiful and historic. By coincidence, I recently received the October 2007 issue of Skyways aviation history journal. The cover illustration is a magnificent photo of Caledonia flying over New York in 1937. The lead article is about the Pan American east coast flying boat bases and has several photos of Empires: Caledonia taxiing at the New York Port Washington terminal, Cavalier floating off the Port Washington ramp, and (my favorite) Cavalier flying over the Baltimore, Maryland facility at Harbor Field.

We moved to Baltimore in December 1946, a time when BOAC was still flying Boeing 314s in and out of the Harbor Field flying boat terminal. I never actually saw them, but have a vivid memory of watching a film of one of the 314s taking off from Baltimore harbor when I was in grade school.

Incidentally, I will be making a posting in your Colossus thread soon, but have been out of town and then a bit busy.

Don B.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Y'know Barry, I gave a shot at that flying boat and it wasn't far from being there. I wonder if I could help somehow by throwing it into Rhino for you to clear things up. Funny that it has not yet been covered by PMing. It is one of the great planes ever. It is probably a legacy of the current state of cm where we only get Brit or US planes if they happened to have Polish pilots. Thank goodness for Zabreski I guess. Anyhooo, I'll help with that one if you can think of how.

Carl
Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks Carl I shall take you up on that offer even if it just an experiment it would be interesting to see the differences.

Don my Dad was on the Atlantic convoys CPO on a Corvette (Nasturtium) which have been done to death. He always hankered after one of these for a bit more firepower instead of being the pick up boat. Starling is virtually finished needs the bridge and masts and an anchor winch which will not be up to Carls' standard
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Starling and Steam Launch

Barry --

I look forward to the Starling. I don't recall ever seeing a model of a Black Swan, other than in 1/1200 or 1/1250 metal (I have several of both) .

And perhaps between the two of you, you and Carl can bring the Empire class flying boat to life. Once you've mastered the technique, how about a Shorts Rangoon?

As far as working small is concerned, here is a sample of my efforts to make you feel better. It's a 3-inch long 1875 Swedish steam launch I inadvertently enlarged from one of David Hathaway's 1/250 freebies. I'm building as a simple model to help get back/improve (actually, "acquire") some hand skills before proceeding to something more complicated. I laminated the decks to 0.5mm card, cut out the coaming and doubled the thickness, added boiler bands and little brass-colored disks, and fabricated a little propeller to try to give it a bit of a three-dimensional quality. The main deck hasn't been glued on yet. Crude, but another step on the road.

Don B.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-steam-launch-03-1192-lo-lo.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Don................ every journey begins with the first step............... She looks sweet.

Flying Boats............. the best of both worlds! I must get out of the building block I have let myself fall into................... maybe during the holidays I can over come it.

john

My Drawings
Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

HMS Starling

Some things are easier than others she has been waiting for two years for the mast and the face lift on the bridge maybe it will finally finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020274.jpg   Odd updates-p1020275.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Whoa!

Excellent!

Don B.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

Empire fuselage first test

NOBI I am not or ever will be but it was a bit of fun. I am not skilled at building aircraft so some of the flaws are due to ineptitude. I was using UHU yellow pack to put it together and for some reason I could not get it stick I seemed to have a pretty good joint and 30 mins later it lifted.

After the attempt on the Boeing clipper I decided to try building it using joining strips and to my surprise the fuselage is at least straight. I used 120 gsm paper but I am too ham fisted with it so if I get around to another attempt I shall use my favourite 160 gsm card.

I lost track of where the step in the hull was so that is not right and i tried to put too narrow a spray bar in at the aft end which just does not show. The texture on the lettering I shall put down as "weathered" and done by one of the crew.

The wing spar was fitted by producing two formers one with the spar cut off to shape the fuselage and it's brother to add the spar. I have no idea at the moment how I will fit the wings to it.

I find sticking a screwdriver into the formers just produces a big hole when I try to do it so fitting the formers was a bit hit and miss. It should have another former in place in front of the Imperial Airways legend to take out the hump in the top.

Scale is 1/72 (I should probably have made it 1/200) this gives a length of about 13 inches.

Any helpful or unhelpful comments would be welcome like a suggestion for a good cheap texturing program which will fit with Pepakura.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd updates-p1020281.jpg   Odd updates-p1020282.jpg   Odd updates-p1020283.jpg   Odd updates-p1020285.jpg   Odd updates-p1020288.jpg  

Google Adsense