PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
CSS Georgia Test Build

Test Build CSS Georgia

This model is in the process of being designed by C.T. Ertz. He has asked me to do a test build of the model and I am honored to give it a try.

The original CSS Georgia was built in 1862, and intended to augment Fort Pulaski in the defenses of Savanna harbor.

Georgia was a rather ill-fated vessel, so severely underpowered that she was barely able to get out of her own way at a maximum speed of 2 knots while the river current frequently ran over 4 knots. She was also extremely heavy and leaked so badly that her pumps had to be kept going constantly.

If that were not enough, Fort Pulaski fell before CSS Georgia was complete, so her planned role of helping to break the Union blockade of Savanna was not to be. She was then anchored in the river near Fort Jackson where the river narrows to a single channel and there she was a very effective deterrent to any ships that might consider forcing their way up the river.

CSS Georgia and the ironclad CSS Savanna, also stationed at Savanna, managed to defend the river for two years against a seaborne attack until the city was taken by land in 1864. At that time CSS Savanna was blown up to avoid capture and Georgia was scuttled by her crew where she stood at anchor. She lies there still on the river bottom and has been the subject of some archaeological investigation over the years.

Even though CSS Georgia is there in the river, the wreck is not in good shape, having been damaged by attempts to salvage her iron and by various dredging operations. With almost zero visibility in the water, diving is extremely difficult as well.

Nevertheless, there has been a fair amount of information published regarding CSS Georgia, and Cory Ertz has done a fine job of combing through the available data for the model presented here. It must be acknowledged however that we are not certain of the exact configuration of certain aspects of the ship. The casemate has been so badly disturbed that it is not possible at this time to determine its exact shape; and so far nothing has been found of the hull.

Ertz has decided to deal with this problem by presenting the model in three different versions, according to the most likely forms the vessel may have taken. The modeller has the choice of building any one or all of these versions, according to his or her interpretation of the historical and archaeological information.

The model presented here is the "Neuse/Atlanta/Jackson" construction style and it seems to me to be the most plausible of the three choices. Further information is available on the Internet, and I would like to point out these sites in particular for further investigation: CSS Georgia Website Homepage and: CHS

Your comments and suggestions are welcome, Please!
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 PM

I began by printing all the parts onto 65 lb. Smooth White Cover stock called "Cougar" and sold by Domtar paper company. It is about .007" thick.

The keel, the ribs and the bottom deck plate were laminated to smooth 100lb. Bristol which measures .013" in thickness, left under weights overnight and cut out when dry.

Lately I have been using a glue stick sold by "Duck" for laminating large surfaces. It has a blue color when in the stick, which fades to clear as it dries. I find this very helpful in seeing whether the area to be glued is completely covered, as well as whether a part of the area is drying out already.

Using several spots of white glue, the Deck Plate was fastened to a large piece of plastic so as to keep it flat during construction. It is hoped that the glue will "release" easily when the time comes. We shall see how that works out.

The two halves of the keel were glued together, mated up by a neat method I saw on one of Golden Bear's builds: Portions of each side were carefully cut to the lines at identical places on both sides and these parts were used to line them up together while gluing. When dry the rest of the edges were cut out. I used to have a really hard time keeping both sides of a two-sided piece lined up properly till I learned this!

The Keel was glued in place on the Bottom side of the Deck Plate, using a straightedge to be sure it was aligned accurately. Because the ribs (I guess they're actually "frames") were laminated and therefore quite thick, I trimmed off the joining tabs that were provided.

I also added two additional frames to each side of the hull, the ones at the fore and sternmost positions, as an earlier experiment showed that additional support is needed at these places.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Georgia Test Build-cssgeorgia1.jpg   CSS Georgia Test Build-cssgeorgia2.jpg   CSS Georgia Test Build-cssgeorgia3.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Off to a great start! I will add some additional frames to the kit.

CT
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks great. CT's kits are a blast to build, and he is a VERY responsive designer.

Wyvern
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Well...I try to be anyhow. I am lagging a bit in the 1/72 Palmetto State build at the moment. I hope to get the testers the parts needed yet this week end. As for this project, the parts for all ship styles ar pretty well set...
CT
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Put some strips of laminated cardstock left over from the hull framing along the edges so the hull sides will know where to go. I tried to give these a little bevel by slanting my knife when slitting them.

The small rectangles glued to the sides of the keel near the bow and stern are there so the hull bottom pieces stay nice and straight and not sag at the ends when I put them on.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Georgia Test Build-cssgeorgia4.jpg   CSS Georgia Test Build-cssgeorgia5.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This does look good! I'm glad to see you have started. CT sent me the parts a few weeks ago, but my locomotive ornament and a Christmas deadline have gotten in the way of any other builds. I'm looking forward to this, a very interesting model!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 AM

As I said Jim, build as you are able, when time allows! There are to be three versions of this so...

CT
Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 AM

OMG!
If Jim is going to build this too, I hope that nobody will compare my results with his!

Nah. Who would think of that! I'll just do the best I can and think thoughts about sparrows flying with eagles... (Waitaminute. Do eagles eat sparrows?)
Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.30 MB
Smile css georgia

Good job on the build so far. Looking forward to updates.

fishjay (Lester)
Google Adsense