PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Taxes and charges!

David
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 890.46 MB
Very interesting ! Real wood, which is the father of paper, on the decks. What a great looking effect. Thanks for sharing the pix. -AndrewO, in San Jose, California
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Thanks , David, for this information. Looking at Wikipedia for Turret Ships Duxford shows that they were using the same consideration. From an engineering perspective their hull shape however seems to induce large stress concentrations at the horizontal part of the width decrease, so the more flowing and vertical orientated shape of the Oranje looks indeed more modern.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM

I planked the fore deck and the sunken front deck behind it (still don't know the English for such a deck, any sailors out there to educate me?), sanded and varnished them.
As a next step, I start constructing the deckhouse on the sunken deck. It contained originally the 4th class deck house saloon, but after the war, it was converted to the carpenters workspace. The back side, see pic 1 is simple enough, just a flat wall, which lowers at the left and right side to form the backside of the two crane supports that were located in that area. As you can see, the deckhouse sits in the middle of the deck, with two cargoholds in front and behind it, the cranes being the hoisting equipment for these holds. In pic 2 the inward sides of these crane supports are being put in place, and pic 3 shows the deckhouse ready for the front curved wall to be installed. Next time more on the completion of this deckhouse and the start on the cargoholds.
See you all.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-8-front-deck-start-4th-class-deckhouse.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-8-front-deck-backside-4th-class-deckhouse.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-8-front-deck-construction-4th-class-deckhouse.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM

I would reckon that's part of the main deck or weather deck.

In the sense it is the deck that closes off the top of the hull.

David
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 AM

Yes, that is the highest full length deck, so it will be the strength deck, forming with the bottom and sides the closed torsion box.
Hm, weather deck, that sounds good, I think I will use that name for now.
Thanks for your reactions, and yes, the wooden planking does give a nice ship-like appearance. I always use it for these larger scale ships. I'll try to photograph some examples of this application.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 AM

I am impressed with the wooden decks too, I think a combination of planks and Doris' self-adhesive textured paper (as used on her HMS Victory) could transport a ship model to the "next level"!

David

Last edited by D-H; 03-03-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Some more progress, the 4th class passenger deckhouse on the weatherdeck is finished.
Not much to tell about this part of the construction, it is rather straightforward. The frontside of the deckhouse was measured out and with much dry-fitting and cutting and trimming, I made it to fit, pics 1 and 2.
Then the seven windows are punched out and covered from the back with transparant plastic, glued with Crafters Pick, a very sticky glue resembling normal white waterbased glue. It was mentioned on this forum some years ago. Finally the topdeck is cut out, trimmed and varnished and then put in place, pic 3.
The access from the 4th class cabins and dormitories to the weatherdeck was by way of an open staircase, the opening of which is located on the righthandside of the aft of the deckhouse. Since nothing can be seen from the outside, I didn't detail it too much, just the walls leading down are visible, pic 4 and 5.
After the Second WW, when the 4th class was deleted, the passenger accomodation at the aft of the ship was increased by converting the crew accomodations in that area. So, that part of the crew were relocated to the area were the former 4th class was, as the deckhouse then became the carpenter's workspace. The open staircase then became the access to crew accomodation and the weatherdeck was used as the crew recreation deck.
Next step will be attaching the weatherdeck to the hull frame and construct some detailing on the workman spaces in front, were the front deck overhangs the weatherdeck. That will be the subject of next progress report.
Hope you enjoyed this!
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-9-1-front-deckhouse-shaping.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-9-2-front-deckhouse-windows.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-9-3-deckhouse-front-place.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-9-4-deckhouse-backside.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-9-5-deckhouse-staircase-down.jpg  

Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Hello scon10, I am curious about a detail on the pilot house front and also noticed this on the doors, you punched the holes for the porthole locations, how did you do the ring around the portholes.:DRick
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Hi Rick,
The rings around portholes are indeed a nice detail, and I didn't even do a thing for it. It is an artifact of the puncher I use. The puncher itself is a common hole puncher you buy at our local household dept. store and punching a hole leaves a ring on one side. Very convenient. It has punches varying in diameter from 2 mm to 4.5 mm so I use it very regularly.
I imagine you can buy such a puncher anywhere in the world. Else, try a leather shop, they may have something like it to punch holes in a leather belt for the buckle holes. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-10-1-puncher-leaves-rings.jpg  
Google Adsense