PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
In this step I am assembling the first clas passenger front deckhouse and glueing it in place. First I prepared this short under promenade deck with planking, pic 1 and 2 and next the deckhouse will be curved to fit. A sharp observer will see, that I goofed up on measureing out the planking size. I am not going to tell what mistake I made and where, for I have learned that such honesty does not go well with ones career :o.
Windows are cut out and covered with transparant plastic from the backside, pic 3.
Finally the whole assembly is glued in place. Meanwhile, I attached small strips of white paper to the deck edges. It makes the deck border nice and straight and will help later on to attach the railings, as can be seen in pic 3 and 4. Also visible are the two round cut-outs for the mast. The Oranje had a single mast. I just hope that I positioned the deck such, that when the mast slides in, it will have the correct slant angle, if that is a correct English expression.
Next step is to finish the aft part of the under promenade deck, so that I can begin to measure out the promenade deck.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-11-1-preparing-front-promenade-deck.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-11-2-positioning-prom-deck.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-11-3-glueing-prom-deck-left.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-11-4-front-prom-deck-right-side.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 PM

A little progress report after building the deckhouse on the foredeck.
The deckhouse on the under promenade deck will soon be covered by the aft part of the promenade deck, and that means I will have to finish all detailing first.
One detail I always like on a ship model is the handrail along the deckhouses, to provide support for the passengers when the ship is rolling in stormy weather.
Pic 1 shows attaching the brackets for the various parts of the handrail. The rail itself is a thin copper wire painted white and cut in the correct lengths to postion it between windows and doors on the walls of the deckhouse, see pic 2.
I glue them in postion with small blobs of white glue and the result is visible in pic 3.
Having done that, next step will be glueing the main railing on the deck and all winches, boulders air vents etc which are to be found on this deck. But first, I need to start skinning the hull. For that, I glued small strips of heavy drawing paper to the bulkheads to smooth out the contours. In pic 4 you can see the result. A red waterline stripe is attached along the bottom contour of the waterline, which is also red lacquer paper (by the way, the official name is Chromolux paper) and I started to measure out the skin panels to fit the ship's hull. Where the hull is much curved, I need to cut out small panels, but when the hull is more uniform, I can use larger panels.
Hope you enjoy this report, more next time.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-12-1-aft-under-prom-deck-brackets-handrails.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-12-2-handrails-fitting.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-12-3-handrails-done-stairs-prep.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-13-1-red-waterline-skinning-hull-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello scon10, this is a very interesting approach to building this most wonderful vessel. The decking, deck structures and the hull are looking like a most excellent build when all are brought together.:DRick
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 AM

Thanks Rick,
It is satisfying to see slowly all parts that you mentally need to visualize before cutting out and preparing for assembly, come together and form the subassemblies that shape up the model. Compared to professionally designed and printed paper models, a scratch-built model always has some area's where you cannot design it real accurately, for instance the exact number of portholes or windows in deckhouses, even if you know -from deckplans of the period- what was behind the deckhouse or its function. So the result is, you make the windows and portholes as closely to reality as you can get, and put in the rest as will fit as closely as possible to the real thing. What matters is the overall impression: if it is "pleasing to the eye", then the model is ok. It is a sort of "artistic freedom" in a way. Come to think of it, modellers are sculptors of a sort. Artists, as it were....
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Just a short quick update on progress. I am working on the deckhouse of the promenade deck. These deckhouses contain the veranda at front, and followed by various bars, smoking rooms, music salons and libraries for the first and second class passengers. If you have any questions, just ask.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-14-1-promenade-deck-veranda.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This facinating build of a beautiful ship continues to demonstrate great skill and innovative techniques.

Don
Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello scon,

I don't want echoing Don; but let me say, it's a brilliant work you do on this ship ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I will just echo the Don and Wifried interesting methods of construction

Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 AM

Next step is skinning the hull. I will start with the white sides just under the promenade deck. It should follow the sheer of the ship and provide guidance for the grey skins on the underside off the hull.
In pic 1 I am tracing the sheer of the model itself onto a sheet of white chromolux paper. This is the top of the hull side, the underside will be the same sheer, but lowered by twice the deck height, it should line up with the aft part of the hull at the poop deck. Cutting that side, marking the position of the portholes and dividing it in four sections is the next step, seepics 2 and 3.
I need the seperate sections to avoid static instability of such a long piece of paper, which is basically flat, but the underside does follow the curvature of the hull.
Then a long job will have to be done to attach the grey part of the hull, starting from the aft side, where the hull is already skinned, and working towards the bow, pic 4.
Under the front deck, there is an open well deck, which used to be the open deckspace for Dutch military being transported to the Dutch East Indies for defending the colony, which it was in those days, pic 5. Later, after the independance of Indonesia, I believe it was closed off after the war and the deck space converted into crew accomodations. The original crew was in part located in the aft part of the ship, which then was refitted into second class passenger accomodations.
The well itself is just a simple box, which will be attached to the inside of the hull skin at that position, under the front deck.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-1-tracing-first-hull-skin-under-prom-deck.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-2-hull-skin-preparing-portholes.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-3-hull-sides-place-ready-promenade-deck.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-4-further-skinning-hull.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-5-hull-under-foredeck-preparing-open-well.jpg  

Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Don, Wilfried, Barry, thanks for your interest.
The open well is shown in the first two pics, and following are a few pictures I have of the hull done on one side. Now work continues to finish the other side. I'll be back by then.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-6-inside-part-well.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-15-7-well-attached-hull-skin.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-16-1-hull-finished.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-16-2-hull-top-view.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-16-3-prom-deck-dry-fitted.jpg  

Google Adsense