PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Oranje is really looking beautiful with the hull sides in place and showing the unique hull shape. As always, I appreciate the information on the innovative techniques you are using.

Don
Old 06-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Hello All,
I've finally completed the promenade deck, and when it is dry, I'll make some pictures to show you how it was constructed and how it looks attached to the ship.
Just give me another day.
Cheers
Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 AM

The railing I am using is lasercut cardboard railing, obtained via the website of Mr T. Pleiner, in scale 1:200. Since most liners, including the Oranje, had a teak topping on the railing, I varnished a brown piece of cardboard and cut it in small strips. I clamped the railing pieces, they come in 15 cm lengths, 9-fold per sheet, between two small wooden strips for easier handling and glued a strip of brown topping onto the railing, see pic 1.
Next, I need to make a number of glass windshields and partitions, that were widely used on the Oranje. These are made of hard transparant packaging material, such as boxes for electronic equipment. Again, I glued small strips of brown varnished cardboard to represent the window sills and frames. The Oranje originally had a central shipwide veranda, which was open but could be enclosed by shutters, it contained the cinema. After the refurbishing of 1962, the enclosure was made permanent, looking like a glass-enclosed promenade on Atlantic liners. I made this on the right hand side of the ship. In front of the cinema was the first class deck, and aft the second class, hence the need for glass partitions in that area, see pic 2.
Finally, there were a lot of benches and deckchairs, which are made of small strips of varnished wood and the leftovers from the railing sets, pic 3.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-17-1-attaching-railing-top.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-17-2-making-glass-partitions-verandas.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-17-3-benches.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 AM

Now for some views of the full promenade deck. The large front veranda still needs to be filled with some chairs and tables, because you can see inside through the large windows, pic 1 and 2.
At the stern side, there is a windshield made in the same way as described earlier, pic 3.
In pic 4 you can see another view of the central cinema.
The deck houses are made of the shiny white chromolux paper I used on the hull. Windows were cut out and window-frames were made of brown cardboard strips, much in same way as the glass windshields. The deck housing are stiffened with thick cardboard strips, for postioning on the deck, and also strips are glued to the top of the housing, also for stiffening and to support the next deck.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-18-1-front-promenade-front-veranda.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-18-2-promenade-deck-place.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-18-3-aft-windshields-benches-deck-chairs.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-18-4-mid-veranda-cinema.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Finally, some remaing pictures I have stored. First, an overview to the front, then another view of the cinema ( I seem to like that part of the ship very much) and finally the whole ship with the full length promenade deck.
Next step will be the upper promenade deck, which contains at the stern side the childrens decks for the first and second class, and in front of that the first class cabins.
I hope you enjoyed this little excursion and hope to see you next time.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-19-1-overview-front.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-19-2-cinema-verand-after-1962-refurnish.jpg   MV Oranje of the Netherlands Steamship Company in scratchbuild-19-3-full-view.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Your build is looking very good. I really like the photos, great quality.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
sweet! i really like this!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. It's going a bit slowly, but there is so much to do with only 24 hours in a day... But I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Old 03-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Herky mentioned the interesting history of this liner in the thread ms Oranje rescaled from "De Grote Drie" kit On page 1 of this thread, there is some info on that subject, along with some technical backgrounds of the design
Old 06-01-2020, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
I see that the last comment was already four (4) years ago, what happened to the model, is it ready by now ??? Would interest me very much !!
Google Adsense