Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
What a terrific set of images EIB.
A great LSM for a great Sailor!
Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Thanks for the kind comments guys. It has been a great experience. I love building a ship for an old salt to enjoy.

Yu... I think you'll really like Hammell's book on Guadalcanal. It's a good read. Ship-by-ship accounts of what everyone witnessed in the same battle is intriguing. Once you start reading it you won't want to put it down. I hope you enjoy it. Once you finish that one I would highly recommend Anthony P. Tully's "Battle of Surigao Strait".

Amazon.com: Battle of Surigao Strait (Twentieth-Century Battles) (9780253352422): Anthony P.…

It is another splendid account of a major night engagement. Tully's account of Admiral Nishimura's ill-fated voyage into Surigao Strait goes into great depth and detail.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
I might add that Tully's book really helps correct some significant mis-perceptions about that battle. It's an excellent read.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yesterday while waiting for a flight at Japanese local airport I read the Hammell’s book for 3 hours but since I needed to look up many of words, my reading is slow. I’m at Nov. 11, 1942 when USS Southard sunk Japanese sub after daylong chase.
Thanks gents for new recommendation. I have placed order for Tully’s “Battle of Surigao Strait” together with war related book “Snow falling on Cedars”.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Glad you're enjoying Hammell's book Yu. Hey, when he gets into the night of November 12-13 pay special attention to how the US sailors describe Hiei moving through the night in the shadows. Her massive pagoda superstructure was quite menacing looking at night. Compared to the ships in the USN line, they were like ants attacking a bull. It's these descriptions that have left a long lasting impression on me for what it must have been like to fight in this point-blank nighttime naval engagement.

You're really going to like Tully's book on Surigao Strait. As Nimitzfan pointed out, it's a ground-breaking work. Very good read.

As far as the LSM goes, I got a call from Mr. Strader again last night. He's been staring at his old ship for the last several days and having many flashbacks and memories that he had long forgotten. Last night he shared a story with me of a Kamikaze that came in on their bow in a strafing/crash run at the LSM. His action station was at the bow 40mm, which he has informed me was a double and not a single like I modeled. Mr. Strader was working the director for that gun and he commented on how they clipped the wing of the incoming Kamikaze with their 40 mm fire. He said he could remember looking the pilot in the face as he passed at high speed to the starboard side and into the sea. It must have been a really hair-raising experience. Yet he remembered in great detail so many years later.
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
It's a shame my (late) grandfather never told me which ship he sailed on in the East Indies for the Dutch navy... He never talked about his serving time either.