PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hoche, French pre-dreadnought battleship, 1:400, Golden Bear Models No. 1

Hey, I mostly just want to try attaching a picture to a post right now. I AM rather excessively proud of my work on this ship model and am happy for any excuse to show it off.

Also, I woke up bolt upright in bed this morning when my subconscious reminded me that I neglected to put the secondary armament in the chambers above the side barbettes. I'll do that tonight and show a more "final" picture at that time!

Here is my pride and joy.

Carl

P.S. The file size for attached jpgs is a little too small in my reckoning... it should be boosted up to about 200kb probably, at least. This will allow posting of moderate sized pictures of decent resolution. Also, it is a little pokey IMO.

Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
The ship looks great. Did you keep track of how much time you spent on design and construction?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking great, Bear! I have always wondered about all the ship's boats stored everywhere on these early battleships - it seems like they would be the first things to go in a battle. Of course they are absolutely necessary for the really important matters - getting the crew ashore for liberty!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
that denim makes for nice water

gonna box the ship up in a display case now?

this is quite an award winner Carl you got there

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
I AM rather excessively proud of my work on this ship model and am happy for any excuse to show it off.
And so you should be..... It's a superb model.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Looks familar and awesome!
Chris
Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
How long did it take? Hmm, looking back at file dates it seems that I started around May 20th. I did the first 3 attempts without CAD but the current incarnation really began around June 7th when I started working in Rhino. I was designing and building simultaneously which I don't really want to do again to such an extent. On the next model, the Massena, I'm working to get all the details correct in the CAD model before cutting.

Also, I could have finished the Hoche more quickly except that my shoulder has been in excrutiating pain through most of the period and I've had to shut down all building at least twice during the period. If I have to shut down again I may spend the time with trying to convert the Hoche into a commercial kit. No promises there.

Ron, I repeatedly had the same thought about those boats. I could actually put even MORE boats onto the model to be historically correct. They hung little ones off of the side barbettes and had stacks of them in by the funnels! The Hoche was called the "Grand Hotel" after all and seemed to emphasize its peacetime activities. I believe that in wartime they would dump most of the boats and rip up all the wooden decking. I also wonder about the cranes that seem to obstruct the movement of the bow main gun. Perhaps it elevated enough when firing that this was not an issue. Have you noticed the absence of ventilators on this thing? Interesting.

Rick, I shopped around a fabric store for something that looked to me to be an appropriate color for "water" under ship models. I kind of like this stuff. I should put it into a case because dusting it will be nearly impossible it is so fragile. It is almost impossible to pick up at this point. I kind of slide it off onto my hand to carry it. Can it be your initial POTW? Does this sound like begging? I'm sooo vain.

Carl
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Carl,

I will see what my influence on that might be

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
be proud

Carl, You have good reason to be proud. I'm not into boats but I can't help but admire the craftmanship. ( so to speak ) . Nice job and I'd like to see more of your work.

Now I'm gonna go try and see if I can get a picture of my latest project to appear here on this user freindly forum.

John
Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Well, GB, glad you found another outlet to post your wonderful build! This is truely beautiful! Looking forward to your next endevours!
Google Adsense