PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Can anybody on this subject of the HMS Victory by Doris please advise if she is contactable. Failing that can anybody tell me if suitable plans are available (and from where) to construct or at least start a project with a paper/card Victory at scale 1:96.

Thank you.

Best regards.
Ancient Modeler (also known as Eugene)
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 103.02 MB
Doris is a beautiful and extremely sweet and kind girl. I wrote her congratulating her work and she responded immediately!! Just send her a private message. I think the base for her model was the Shipyard card model Victory. Greetings from Colombia!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM

This is the most magnificent thing I have ever seen.

For years, I have dreamed of building a model of the Victory, but realistically, I know that all the woodworking is beyond my skills and resources. I wonder if this might be a more realistic dream. Whether it is or not, it is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Hi I don not know if they have the plans along but I recently purchased the SHIPYARD model of the Victory from Ages of Sail in San Fran. they have a web site and you can sure check with them otherwise they have the card model itself..
Hope this help and good luck since I just started mine the other day I can tell you that the SHIPYARD model is good but it is a project.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member

Doris does write and give advice on adding to the original kit in the project and i am sure Eugene if you ask she be able to tell you how to add some of the details to the plans. where to buy the kit is what is the thing and other things to be ready to add them little details she uses to give it that Wow factor. She uses modeling clay of some sort I think its one that you can get even in South Africa easy enough as well in hobby shops or art and craft shops and she uses things like contact paper things for the decking which works well as well.
Google Adsense
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Doris' posts are full of useful techniques, particularly replacing the printed planking.
If you can not find the wood grain contact sheets she uses and you want to replace the wood look sheets that came with the paper model as published, try this:
A alternative to the commercial wood grain contact sheets that Doris uses to enhance her models, is to print your own wood grain paper.
If you search the internet you can find images of wood surfaces, which you can download and print. You can then cut out your planking from this or draw planking on it using a draught-person's pen or pencil (apply fixative if you use pencil to draw the planking, otherwise the lines might smudge), or you can print the planking on the wood image by running the paper through the printer a second time.
This will give a better looking wood appearance that the original "wood" in most published paper models. This will not duplicate wood texture the way the contact sheets do on Doris' models but it gives a nice stand off wood look.

You can over print dry ink-jet printed paper, with either an inkjet or laser printer.
You can over print a laser jet printed page with an ink jet printer, though there is a risk of smearing if the page has a heavy application of laser toner. The ink jet printer will not penetrate the paper where there is a heavy application of laser toner.
Double printing a laser printed page with a laser printer might melt the first application of laser toner and grundge up your laser printer roller. Double print on the same side of a laser printed page with a laser printer at your own risk.

Search for:

wood images
wood identification
wood textures

You should turn up a lot of usable images of wood surfaces.

If you want to build a ship model, choose one of the one or two masted Shipyard or Maly ModelArz sailing ship papermodels as your first build, or one of the early sailing ships (Nina, Koga) which have less complex rigging than the 18th c or later ships. You will learn the techniques for model shipbuilding on a less complex model and will be better prepared to do a three masted ship.
Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 09-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up HMS Victory - card/paper model 1:96 Scale

Thank you Edubarca, DMForsyth, George78, Doctormax and John Wagenseil ... you guys are great and I do appreciate the time you've spent replying to my message and requests !!

Thanks again.

Best regards.
Ancient Modeler (aka Eugene)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Eugene,

By coincidence I was looking at the Marcle Models website about 20 minutes ago. You will have to look at the catalogue images but there is a 1:96 Victory. I tried to add the url but the messager wouldn't let me.

And hello to everyone, this is my first post. I've recently acquired the Halinski 1:200 Bismarck, which is starting to worry me.

Pete
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi Cassiterite...ah...a mineralogist!

Looking forward to seeing your bismark!

Rgds,
Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 AM

Radek,

Well done! Actually I started out as a geologist and ended up as an industrial archaeological surveyor, now industrial historian. I live in Cornwall, UK, lots of cassiterite there :-)

Pete
Google Adsense