PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
USS Colorado BB-45

After long last, the paper butchery has started on the USS Colorado. Not all that much to look at so far....just the obligatory framework shots. The hull is planked up on a 4-foot shelf....it's going to be fair size, but not too large to easily work on. The hull platform is secured to the plank using 3/8-inch diameter glue dots. They are sold in the scrapbooking section of most crafts stores. They come on a roll of waxed paper, and are similar to the gummy stuff that publishers are using to attach CDs to magazines. It should be easy enough to remove once completed by using the cheese-slicer technique...running a tightly-stretched length of music wire (in my case, an old steel-string guitar G string) between the plank and the hull platform.

I experimented with lamination methods. First, I tried thinning white glue (Aleene's Tacky Glue) with isopropyl alcohol. I invented rubber cement. The resulting goo has the same consistency and handling properties as ruber cement....and is every bit as messy to work with. It didn't wrinkle the paper, and that is the best I'm going to say about it. It has the nasty property of dissolving and smearing the ink, as well as getting on just about everything within two yards of the working area. I'll stick with thinning the Aleene's with good old hydroxilic acid, hazardous properties and all.

About 90 percent of the parts are drawn up...notible exceptions being the hull sides. Barry helped out by running the bow section through his 3D software and folding out the sides. Once the hull gets deplanked, I'll know how much pain is going to be involved coming up with the skins.

USS Colorado BB-45-001.jpg

USS Colorado BB-45-002.jpg
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
It is always good to keep some hydroxylic acid handy for thinning pva glue and in case there is some Laphroaig close by. :D

That does look like it is going to be a big ship model.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Also called Dihydrogen Oxide. Have you SEEN the EPA fact sheet on that stuff?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Yes, I've seen it....it's possible I may even have been a contributor to writing it The stuff is absolutely deadly. it's killed millions more people than plutonium has. You would think it would have been banned by now...
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
That is one beautiful frame Darwin ............. having seen it and turned my brain on pattern for the hullside holds good for F1 - F6. More pics more pics !!!!!!

Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
Darwin,

At long last I can see the fruits of your effort. Hull formers and the beginning of the model USS Colorado BB-45. I do not remember if Colorado lost all of her cage masts during modernization or not? I will be following this build with great interest. Thanks!

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Nice! Is this a scratch design and build? I am looking forward to this undertaking...

...and lol @ hydroxylic acid
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Darwin,
I believe U.S.S. Colorado was the first American battleship to carry the 16-inch guns.
I wish you an enjoyable project. I know I will have fun watching.
MIke
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Dennis, the Colorado lost the mainmast during the post-pearl harbor update....it was replaced by another island structure. Plus, lots more smaller armament and radar stuff hung on to it. For the first cut, I'm working on the pre-Pearl version, with both cage masts. Some bastardization is inevitable, I guess....I know that some of the post-Pearl modifications are creeping into my model. So I'm not a fidelity-to-prototype zealot....sue me. I'm thinking that the model will still be a reasonable stand-off representation of it's December 7 appearance.

Lex, this is a scratch build at this point....I started off just thinking I could do a straight enlargement of the Watkins kit, but abandoned that approach after the computer crash that wiped out all my inital work on the project. If not totally burned out by the time this one gets done, I am planning on doing a 1944 version of the ship as well.....including camo.

Back to torturing paper....when I visited the local hobby shop to clean them out of music wire for the masts, I noticed they were pushing the p*****c competition...has a registration deadline sometime in April, if I remember correctly. I would love to enter this baby into it, but my guess is that I'll be lucky to have it done by State Fair time in September, much less than by the Ides of April.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM

The framing is now completed. I've added the framing for the torpedo belts. I've noticed considerable discussion amongst the experts regarding whether the bulges are added armor to help protect against torpedo attack or for additional bouyancy to compensate for additional weight of upgrade modifications. My own suspicion is the truth is come combination of both, but suspect that the primary reason was for bouyancy. For the waterline model, I decided to make the belts an integral portion of the hull structure. If I ever try doing the full hull version, I think that it would be easier to build the hull to the original design outline, then put on the bulge as an add-on to the structure. I added scrap cardboard to support the top of the belt, and also to provide some surface around the bulge for the hull skin to attach to (dangle, dangle, little participle).

USS Colorado BB-45-003.jpg

USS Colorado BB-45-005.jpg

USS Colorado BB-45-006.jpg

USS Colorado BB-45-007.jpg

Now to take a bit of a break....the better half want's to go into town for some corned beef and cabbage and Irish Stew. Happy St. Paddy's to all you Irish folk out there, regardless of what ethnicity you might claim.