PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250

The Iena was a pre-dreadnought battleship of the French Navy. Her design was derived from the preceding “Charlemagne” class battleships with a heavier secondary battery and thicker armour. She retained the tumblehome characteristic of all large French warships of this period. Her displacement was increased by 700 tonnes in comparison to the older ships. Namesake: Battle of Jena-Auerstedt.

Hello Papermodelers,
This begins the construction report of my rendition of M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250. For a long time it has been a strong desire of mine to build one of the French battleships from this era. As a concession to my eagerness to tackle this project, Golden Bear has allowed me to begin work just prior to the public release of this kit. My initial exposure to the diagrams, instructions and parts sheets have revealed that this is a finely crafted product. As most of you know, Carl and Fred (Royaloakmin) have been working on the prototypes. I shall refer to their images and notes often. This kit is suitable for waterline or full hull construction. I shall build the full hull. The first images illustrate the results of much laminating and cutting parts for the lower hull frame. I am taking extra care with the fit and finish of the frames, not only to get a high quality rendering of the hull, but also to make certain everything is straight. There are as many methods as there are modelers to achieve a straight and level frame. Mine is to mount the waterline deck to a good piece of fiberboard. The second image is of the stern waterline deck, and is lit from behind highlighting all the slots carved out to accept the studs in the frame pieces. Carl has employed a stud & slot system that does an excellent job of keeping all the pieces straight. The frame members are card laminated to card to achieve just less than 1mm thickness.
Cheers,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-001-stern-hull-frames.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-002-stern-waterline-deck.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-003-stern-waterline-assembly.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-004-stern-waterline-assembly.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-005-stern-waterline-assembly.jpg  

M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-006-waterline-assembly.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-007-completed-waterline-assembly.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-009-iena-photo.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looks clean and straight, Mike. Looking forward to your construction report. This is a beautiful ship and Goldenbear did an exceptional design on it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, frame cutting and assembling looks very neat. Next masterpiece is in build

Cheers
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've been looking forward to your rendition of this one!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Mike, are you going to build the full hull as a joined model rather than separate?

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2010, 02:38 PM
POTM Moderator

Thanks Jay, Yu and Jim. The good words are appreciated, and it is good to be sharing this one with you.
Regards,
Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
Mike, are you going to build the full hull as a joined model rather than separate?

Carl
Hello Carl,
That is a good question. I had not thought that far ahead yet. My next task is to work on the upper hull frame as a seperate unit. Then, I would have the option of joining the two before beginning work on the hull plating. But, obviously, there are a number of ways to go with it. At some point, I plan to joint the two halves permanently. What was your experience at this point?
Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, recall that I am pretty much a waterline person. So I built the two separately. I am interested in how a model would turn out as an integrated whole. But really, you should not let this influence you... my kits are the only ones that give the option of both waterline and full hull at the same time.

I can say that getting a clean interface between the two halves is problematical although I have a new take on it.

Carl
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM
POTM Moderator

Carl,
I gave this some thought. My inclination is to unite the two, sooner rather than later. I prefer a solid unified structure to apply the hull plating (skin) to. I will present some images of it at that point. Still, it is a ways off. I will be deep into the laminating and cutting phase for a while.
Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM
POTM Moderator

02 - Iena hull frames

Hello to All,
The second update to this project starts with a couple of images showing the competed lower hull frame from bow and stern angles. Then it was back to laminating and cutting upper hull frame components. This is a design with plenty of strength, with structural members on either side of center running from for to aft. There remains 8 horizontal pieces to be installed before I can call the upper section complete. As before, all pieces were made with card laminated to card.
Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-010-lower-hull-bow.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-011-lower-hull-stern.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-012-upper-hull-frame-parts.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-013-upper-hull-bow.jpg   M.N.F. Iena Golden Bear Models 1/250-014-upper-hull-stern-view.jpg  

Google Adsense