PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Wow David..............

I kinda feel the same way. Never figured out why Subs were called boats, other than the German Undersea Boat thing.............. and it does make sense on why land-locked boats are called boats even though they can be pretty darn big as in the Great Lakes ore carriers.

svadim.............

you can PM me here on the site.

No I didn't have very good plans to go by.............. just a side top view copied from Navy Bureau book and the VERY few pictures I found on-line.

It was close......... but........(and there is always a but).......... I found another picture after I finished that showed I had the aft deck house totally wrong and a couple of other things also. I put it down for a while to work out my frustrations and I will pick it back up to get it right before too long.

I still want to do the series, but it will have to be after the new year............... too much out side stuff going on.

I appreciate the interest!

john

My Drawings
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Back in 1990, I was invited to fly aboard the USS Carl Vincent, which was steaming in the West Sea/Sea of Japan at the time. We took off from Atsugi Naval Air Station in a US-3 (utility version of the S-3 Viking ASW aircraft). It was my first and only trap and cat and a glorious experience. I noticed that the pilots all referred to the huge carrier as "the boat" ("You ready to head out to the boat, Colonel?")

Don B.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
We usually refered to them a bit facetiously as boats...since they're the largest and fastest warships afloat. Sort of like refering to the Navy as the "canoe club".
Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
OK guys........... not sure if this is the right place, but as some of you know I have started to try my hand at designing, and have chosen this era as it.

Yes, I am an airplane guy, but this is something that I have gotten very interested in and so I'm trying to do the boat thing now.

Anyway................. Numba 1 in the series will be the RPC River Patrol Craft of 1966.

This was a very unsuccessful attempt at a replacement for the river assault boats that the French and Vietnamese Navy tried out.

It is a very, very poorly referenced subject and therefor I will have to take "designer liberties" on some of the parts.............BUT I have just gotten in a new reference and it has in it the 3rd picture of this boat that I have found.............. now I will have to makes some changes and fix some of the parts that are wrong.

So for now the first in the series will have to be corrected and will be a little while longer in the design part of the process.

This will be offered for FREE to all who want, as a payback to the community that has given me so much.

Numba 2 in the series will be the PBR MKII............. boat number 105 named Elaine.

Here is what I have so far................

John- I was part of the Riverine force in Nam- what boats have you done sir- would love to see them. Thanks Paul Kasper contact by pm, email removed also looking for any paper military vehicles from nam era. Any place you can think of

Last edited by Texman; 05-23-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Remove email to avoid spambots flooding your email
Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 AM

As I heard it, submarines were always called "boats" in tribute to the early leather covered rowboats from which early submarines followed. (Direct from a gum-smacker.)

Calling an aircraft carrier a "boat" was done strictly to PO the Navy types on board.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
I would also like a copy of these also
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Brown water (riverine) boats

This is a 1/6 scale model I did- and pictures of the other craft
Attached Thumbnails
Brown Water Navy Series-boat-i.jpg   Brown Water Navy Series-allriverine.jpg  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
That a very superb model! Some great detailing work, and a very impressive build!

Thanks for sharing photos of your work, and photos of other brown water craft, with us!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkertwo View Post
This is a 1/6 scale model I did- and pictures of the other craft

I have a question for you, HOW DID YOU GET THAT SHIP OUT OF YOUR BASEMENT?

(I know it is in your garage, so that means that your car has to be parked outside. If it was not for the boat, the wife would probably have the garage stockpiled with accumulated household goods,)

Great job on that GI Joe boat, the worlds smallest acft Carrier. Did you also built the trailer for it to take to the lake?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 AM

I have been trying to convince my wife its a new coffee table, but she's not buying it. ;-}

In reality several museums want it for display- The landing deck comes off - that way other versions can be displayed - There are lots of photo on my facebook "parkertwo" also more detailed photos of the APC, OH 6 Helo and boat.

the next series I will do all the boats 1/18 scale- with the helicopters and apcs, crew. all with RC the other is to make molds so they can be reproduced for others.
My health is not great so hopefully I can do them. I always wondered why WWII has all the models and the Vietnam war has only a couple. As a combat Vet, I certainly take nothing away from those that served in combat anytime. But anyway- The APC is a M132 flame thrower- thats what I was on in Nam. Thanks Paul
Google Adsense