PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Sadly, Lancer, I can relate....and I can't remember what the first thing was!!!! There were some interesting design projects going on at that period of time...up to monsters having six-gun turrets. Would be interesting seeing if that monster would survive it's first broadside.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.25 MB
תÌù:The Tillman Battleships_Õ½Áн¢°É_Ìù°É

I found this site with the other design studies and information about the Tillman Max BB's. It would be interesting to see what one of these would look like using Darwins hull and turrets as a start on the project. Since Ben Tillman was from SC if the Navy actually built 5 Max BB's i would think that one would have been named for the earlier USS South Carolina, the first all big gun battleship. What do you guys think.

The Paperboy
Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not a bad link, Pap...

Darwin: It's a shame when we're so old that we don't know where our "git up and go" got up and went...

I seem to recall reading somewhere, that one of the specifications from the TillMax ships that got carried over to the Montanas was that they had to be able to survive a full battery strike from their own guns. I'd like to see the ship that could survive a salvo from twenty four 14" guns... Then again, I'd like to see a ship that could survive a salvo from twelve 18" guns...

Oh wait, I'm building one.... Silly me...
Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Lancer, I know where my giddy-up went. My grandkids took it.....
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Of course, if you want to have fun looking at "What if" ships - you need to check out Furashita's fleet. It's a subheading of the Nihon Kaigun page here and includes similar drawings for the Japanese, British, US, Soviet, German and Netherlands navies. Of course, they are all fictional, so Craig includes some "history" to go with each. For a long time the Japanese Ships and Navy forum had a section dealing with imaginary Japanese ships, but I think they've all "rotated" beyond the archives. So it goes. Still fun.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM

NF: I've read some of those pages, and that guy doesn't know beans about naval warfare. Just about everything he's written is pure amateur fantasy. He's got some fair graphics, but the rest of it is bollocks... Sorry.

I'm now wondering what to do about the possibility of creating a TillMax ship... Is it even possible? A few searches have turned up nothing useable in the way of drawings...
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.25 MB
United States

Heres another truly unique page. It's from Wolfshipyard, and is a what if/never was design. I like the design for the USS Constellation, a Lexington class battlecruiser with a Lexington style stack and turrets of either 6" or 8" guns along the sides.

The Paperboy
Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Very interesting site... I especially like the WHIF of the CA-2D heavy cruisers, and the upgraded Iowas and Montanas...

Thanks for the link!!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Wow. What a great discussion this has turned into. Thanks to everyone for the great links and input. I would have never found half these sites on my own.

@Charles... I'm sure that Montana is keeping you quite busy. The skins are coming along great. Yours is a big contribution to the "what if" model category. As we exhaust the "real" ships of the USN, we need to explore the what ifs more. This is a really interesting area to me.