PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51

Ahoy
While takeing a rest from the long build on my PBY I will show these to you great fellas. These are all scratch built useing the builders plans. all made from card, wood and wire. Here is the infamous great late U.S.S. ARIZONA That intumbed 1 over a 11 hundred shipmates poor souls didn,t even see it comeing being killed in your rack is a mark of cowerdous. She is wearing the measure 5D Dark Gray/ with haze gray foretops. thje deck was planked useing Manila file folders, I made planking strips useing my edge cutter. all of her 14 inch. 5"25 open casement guns were all turned useing my lathe. there are a debate if she wore paint measure 5D or 5N Dark seablue. My dad was at pearl durring the attack he was on the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA BB37 A aviation machinist mate that worked on OS2Us kingFisher reconnosance aircraft. I learned the paint measure the hard way . In 1958 Revell released their U.S.S. ARIZONA I was 18 years old I just joined the Navy spent 13 weeks bootcamp got home for boot leave 2 weeks I bought the kit for a sum of $2.00 plastic was cheap in those days. Now days OUCH$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and then some.

didn,t take long for me to build it after 4 days of working on it I started the painting.. My dad stopped me in my wake. and bluntly said what are you doing. I replied painting pop. YOUR PAINTING IT THE WRONG COLOR.the instructions call for gray with silver railings THERE,R WRONG. Listen to me he said they are all dark gray with teak decks from the funnel line on up haze gray and the railong are dark gray to, I said back to my pop why do they call for them to be silver so they stad out when the model is done. Thats how I learned the correct colr and it stuck to me all those years. I made the 2 Small Kingfishers out of card painted the entermediate blue gray with light gray undersides. the model took me 8 years to build off and on when I came home for leave I worked on it untill she was complete.

The Fleet Oiler U.S.S. ASHTABULA AO -51 This is a maritmie commissioned T3-SE-A2 type oiler her keel was laid durring the second world war October of 1943 a Cimmeron class I was stationed on the ship durring the vietnam way I was on board her from 1964 to 1966 I was a boatswainmate second class my rig station was rig 7 port side aft of the forward superstructure.. I built this the same way as I built vthe ARIZONA she is in the same scale 1/8th 69 inchs long of most ships i served on were all oilers. you didn,t get much sleep in the fart sack when your aboard these the most part of it i hated the most was mucking out the oil and JP5 from her tanks 12 hours on and 12 hours off talk about a head ache from breathing in all those fumes. When your a petty officer you dont have to labor but you have to suopervise.

Here are the pictures of my fleet I have a vast fleet down here in the boson locker. I hope you will all like these
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-pict0009_188.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-pict0010_155.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-pict0011_299.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-pict0010_102.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-pict0006_137.jpg  

Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats,
Your Fleet is up to a Fleet Excellence Award. They look Battle ready.
Thanks for sharing more of your models. Ron
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Hey there deckape:D Really nice builds you got there! The Arizona is cool for sure, but I'm more drawn to the oiler 'cause ya just don't see as many oilers as modeling subjects AO's AE's AS's don't get the glory they deserve. My dad was on the USS Sperry AS12 during WW2. Anyway very nice work!:D:D

Bob
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Stunning Boats,even if they don't have wings some more of the Oiler would be nice to see.Glad your resting up my friend,important build next.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
Stunning Boats,even if they don't have wings some more of the Oiler would be nice to see.Glad your resting up my friend,important build next.

Ron, Gixergs

thanks very much i havent showed these in years. here are a few more pictures of what I have I got a a heck of alot these ship models collections. Ok Gixergs here is another oiler the S.S. J.L. HANNA T2 SE A2 thanks again for all of you who enjoy my nuilds I am very happy to show these to you.
Attached Thumbnails
U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-matson_model_1.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0007.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0008.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0009.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0011.jpg  

U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0014.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0018.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0019.jpg   U.s.s. Arizona bb39 1941 u,s,s ahtabula ao-51-thumb-pict0020.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Stunning,my father would of loved these.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgdenBob View Post
Hey there deckape:D Really nice builds you got there! The Arizona is cool for sure, but I'm more drawn to the oiler 'cause ya just don't see as many oilers as modeling subjects AO's AE's AS's don't get the glory they deserve. My dad was on the USS Sperry AS12 during WW2. Anyway very nice work!:D:D

Bob
OgdenBob

thank sir most all my builds are very different then what everyone is acutomed of seeing I guess I am old school and trying preserve our aviation and shipboard heritage. I have three more oiler down below I have to clean them and i will post some more here thank you for your reply dear sir.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
My dear Grand dad Boats. There are very few words that really say what i truly feel about your models - and to try and convey in a single word is even harder, so here's two {the first being one of my favourites}
ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY FANTASTIC

Boats.... you are amazing
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What an impressive collection! Some very fine work there! Where in the world do you keep them all?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmodeler View Post
What an impressive collection! Some very fine work there! Where in the world do you keep them all?

Cardmodler
I have them all in the boson locker nad some are topsides in display cases. By boson locker is 65 feet long 55 feet wide i have a lot of space down here. To my collection of ships i have over 399 of them, a maritime museum to say the least. My aircrafdt have around 400 or so perhaps more. When you come aboard in my home everywhere you look you will see a shipmodel or an airplane hanging high. My first mate does not mind if i have such a large collection. I try not to over come her boundries. some times she comes down below and says popeye can you bring that one up and set it on the hutch Are you sure I,m sure what a wonderfull woman she was a god sent for me. LOLLLLLLlllllll thats my pet name for me is popeye I always walking around the house with a pie in my mouth and dixie cup AKA sailors cap on. I guess i,m to much navy serving 30 years it still grows on me. When i walk in a grocery store to get some chow everyone looks at me as if i came out of a time warp. covered with naval tatooes I don,t where the cap or they will order me a section 8. Just the way I look.

Thanks for replying to my build I am happy you viewed them thank you