PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Excellent update Lex! That is some awesome cutting skills to create such crisp and clean details. They almost look like they were die cut parts.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great ship Lex!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
The funnel is amazingly clean for so much curvature. Model is looking great.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I did say the build was on hold, and I did say I will come back to it. Right, here I am.

In England, the responsible gambling slogan goes like this: 'If the fun stops, STOP'. I don't gamble, but this applies to everything outside education, work and housework. For me, being a human laser-cutting machine is where the fun, absolutely, definitively, stops. When I left, almost everything on the printed kit has been built into parts. Then come the realisation that the journey has just started. About 70 percent of the work still remains.

After all the hole-cutting and metalworking, I realised that I wasn't learning anything from the process, and I wasn't liking the result. So I stopped. To put it simply, I wasn't ready for a ship model. I lacked the vision to see model parts not as parts, but as abstractions and simplifications of physical objects. One's skills will go as far as their aesthetics go, and I most certainly lacked aesthetics too.

But I have not gave up yet. 9 years (God it's been THAT long?) and 2 house moves later, the ship is intact, and I gradually sorted all the incomplete bits and tallied the amount of work that remains. I thought about ways to complete them under an acceptable amount of effort. There are a lot of things I did in the past that the current me would not like, so the goal is to complete the model, keeping all the imperfections. Hey if I ever wanted a second round, I still have an Answer Akizuki unbuilt. For all intents and purposes they are nearly the same kit, not that I liked this fact...

So, from here, starting anew.

The subject today is the Type 94 depth charge launcher's rack. The box design was never to my taste and building a detailed version is something the past and present me can agree on. A number of thing were tried in the past (see photo), but it just came down to being unable to get a crisp finish. My skills with hobby knife is better now, but still far from usable. Thankfully, lasers sorted out that part. I happened to have access to a laser cutter, so I drew up some patterns and kindly instructed it to do some of the cutting for me.

I see myself doing this a lot in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]-qq-20190515222930.jpg   IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]-qq-20190515223012.jpg   IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]-qq-20190515223043.jpg   IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]-qq-20190515223319.jpg  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Whoa. I can't think of anything else to add.

Doug
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
The Taj mahal was built over 20 years and the pyramids just as long, and Moses took his time to cross the desert ( 40 years ) , the Sistine chapel also too years.

You are just joining the club of greatness!

Keep it coming though.............

Isaac
Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well - the results are spectacular!

Glad to see that you returned to this kit after so long, Lex.

Inability to make precise cuts on small parts stops me from work I'd like to do, but I'm not yet ready to go the laser-cutter route.

However, after seeing that exceptionally realistic depth charge rack, I am interested to hear more about your experiences.

Don
Old 05-17-2019, 02:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Would have like to look at the pictures of your build, but in the first part all the photographs are gone, Pity !!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
A nine year hiatus.
That is remarkable.
Mike
Old 05-20-2019, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Noted. I will re-upload the pics to here.

It's about time I joined the laser accessory club. I got led down this route by a few friends in China, all excellent paper modellers in their own right. There I learnt that not doing some things cleanly is worse than not doing it at all. Coming back to my CA-spilled metal parts I am forced to agree...

For the next ship in the pipeline (either Kiji, Akizuki or Isuzu) I will also try the double-bottom hull construction technique. I used to stay away from this thanks to having to cut three sets of bulkheads, but now is the perfect chance to try. Updates coming tonight
Google Adsense