PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Lex, I have had that issue with humidity from time to time. Living in North Carolina doesn't help. The real issue is the paper absorbs the moisture and expands. This is worse if the hull sides are installed on a dry day or in a air conditioned environment then is exposed to humidity. The paper will actually revert to its assembled appearance if the model is re-exposed and allowed to dry out in dry air. I now mostly skin my hulls in the opposite setting, basically not in an air conditioned environment.
This could be maybe a help but before I start any model and cut parts I apply a thin layer of matt varnish on both sides of a page this way the paper is protected from potential humid.....
Old 10-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Problem, the varnish diminishes the glue bond. Much like glueing painted parts of a pkatic model. 3 or 4 yrs later your model diassembles itself.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I do not varnish my models for that precise reason. I guess it an be done once the model is built, but there are better solutions I think.

A little progress while I experiment on the best way to fix things. Modelik Fuyuzuki and Answer Akizuki share the same set of formers, so I went to cut a set of internal supports that I made for the Akizuki (see my other post for details). I also had two friends use the same set of double bottom supports, so this design I made last year resulted in 4 hulls already.

In the image you can see the double bottom in progress after the waterline has been cleaned up. The technique is made popular precisely to make hulls survive wet weather, as well as generally more controllable result overall. There will be an additional layer of card on top of this layer, once it is sanded and filled. The skin then covers that additional layer once that is sanded and filled too.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Fuyuzuki [Modelik 1:200]-img_20201031_011149.jpg  
Old 10-31-2020, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Problem, the varnish diminishes the glue bond. Much like glueing painted parts of a pkatic model. 3 or 4 yrs later your model diassembles itself.
not necessarily I built my first model years ago and used capon varinsh it is like based for proper varnish and nothing is happening to the model ,still in great shape after years.