PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Superb work, Greg! She really came out great!

Thanks for sharing your build with us, it was quite enjoyable and instructive.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Very nice, I think I'll try that one myself, one day... I would like someone to develop a kit of the Emma Maerst though
Old 01-01-2020, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Modelperry,
I am new to the hobby, just coming to the the stage where I fit the hull sides.
I see you seem to have glued the centre section first, then moved to bow and stern.
Was wondering could you give me a few more tips?
I know its a long time since you built yours, but anything that can keep me on the straight and narrow is much appreciated!
(And this is an 'easy' kit!! )
See pics below for ref...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Mary Arctica 1/400-img_1858.jpg   JSC Mary Arctica 1/400-img_1859.jpg   JSC Mary Arctica 1/400-img_1860.jpg   JSC Mary Arctica 1/400-img_1861.jpg  
Old 01-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Modelperry,
I am new to the hobby, just coming to the the stage where I fit the hull sides.
I see you seem to have glued the centre section first, then moved to bow and stern.
Was wondering could you give me a few more tips?
I know its a long time since you built yours, but anything that can keep me on the straight and narrow is much appreciated!
(And this is an 'easy' kit!! )
See pics below for ref...
Yes it has been a long time (9+ years?) how time flies. I don't remember the specifics of this or any of my real old builds much and have to rely on what ever documentation I provided within this thread.

With that said, yes I did start in the center and worked out through each end on this one. this is not always the best approach with ships but is for this one. I did have some misalignment at the stern with the correct placement of window height so be cautious there. Otherwise I don't know what other tips to give you on this one at this point. Sorry.

greg
Old 01-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Positive Rate - Just take it easy and don't stress.

From your photos, I see in some places you have "splits" where the tabs were folded. To fix this put some white glue on you finger and coax the pieces or little flaps back into shape.

Before building my model I always give the sheets a spray with a matt vanish - this prevents them from splitting.

I also spray the finished m0odel with matt to protect it further.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 AM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting back to me. I read your thread with interest and was able to avoid the issue with the windows at the stern but had others which I've photo'd and intend to make my own build log later - just gotta remember to keep snapping pics!

But going back to the hull halves - I've had similarity issues when building the Oldenburg (see build log here) with the hull haves not-quite-making-it at the bow, and did on Mary Arctica as well. I struggle a bit with the larger sections like this and ironically do fine with the detail!
I bet you've been through quite a few of these now - I was thinking to avoid this in future one way could be to join the 2 halves at the bow at the start then place them on the hull?? What would you think??
Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
I bet you've been through quite a few of these now - I was thinking to avoid this in future one way could be to join the 2 halves at the bow at the start then place them on the hull?? What would you think??
Although I build many more land based models than ships, I could offer this: For some models (especially JSC brand) the hull sides are split into four parts, two for each side. These often have extra hull material at the end for fine tuning the fit, so your idea has merit. You could join the front two halves together at the bow and the back two halves at the stern, then all you have to do is trim the joins between them for a smooth and gap free result.

greg
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 PM

Hi Greg,
That's interesting, I suppose the larger models will all be like that. I have a few of them coming up!
Thanks for getting back to me.
Alan