PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2

Hello,

This weekend I started this kit. It's my first time doing a ship by this company. I bought it because I have many other ships in 1/400 scale and thought the QE2 would make a good addition.

Later today I'll post more recent photos since this one only shows Saturday's work - at the time it was only 5 parts cut out and partly assembled. This model is going together very quickly and I'm enjoying it. Having a 3-day weekend certainly helped!

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-frt-frames-20100703-s.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Here is once photo showing the model at the end of Sunday, then three at the end of Monday's work. It's coming together quickly and is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100704-frame-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100705-frame-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100705-aft-area-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100705-fwd-area-s.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That is pretty fast progress. Looks real good too.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Looking great!

I spy a JSC bulk carrier in the background of the first photo of your last post...looks great too!

Looking forward to seeing your further progress on this build.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great progress and excellent craftsmanship. As Jim said, the previous ship model reflects your credentials as a first-rate ship model builder and paper modeler.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you very much! The cargo ship is the model I finished right before starting this project and it was fun making the size comparison. Those JSC models are super-detailed, aren't they?

Tonight I put the two other forward walls on the front area of the QE2. They were a bit trickier since you have to press the bottoms tabs in place on still-wiggly decks, then press the upper tabs from the next higher deck to the back of the wall - while trying to make the deck come out level relative to the wall. I ended up gluing the lower tabs first and letting them set, and then pulling the wall slightly forward so I could get glue on the upper tabs. Next are the Part 34 sections which are the main deck between the bow and stern areas. I'll probably start cutting them out tomorrow night (if I'm up to it after work) and maybe get them glued on Saturday morning.

Take care,
Kurt
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Here are more photos... The first shows the front "walls" that I put on a couple of nights ago. All of the work today was on the two main deck sections. The parts are labeled "34", "34a", etc and the instructions had a note to assemble things in order. However, to me, it was far easier to glue the small wall sections (34d and 34e) onto front deck 34 before gluing the deck onto the frame. On the rear half (34b), it was very necessary to glue walls 34c into place before mounting the deck to the frame.

First I attached the front deck half. This was done in stages; first I applied glue to the very top surface of the frames and positioned the deck. This is because there is so much to line up and I prefered to do a little at a time when I could. Next I applied glue under the side parts and pressed them down into position. Same basic technique for the back deck section...

I made a mistake when gluing the back deck wall (the 34c from above). After lining up the center two wall panels, I let them dry completely. When I went to put the next pair of wall sections on each side, I found that I'd missed the centerline of the ship. This is partly because the angle there was so small that it was easier to misalign the parts, and partly because I was careless. Anyway, I ended up cutting it loose and doing that part over. One of the photos shows the aft deck with the wall partly glued in place.

Next step is the hull sides... always a challenge.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100708-fwd-walls-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100710-1-fwd-main-deck-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100710-2-aft-deck-assembly-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100710-3-main-decks-frt-s.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen 1/400 Queen Elizabeth 2-qe2-20100710-4-main-decks-aft-s.jpg  

Tags
build, qe2, ship