PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Just happened across this thread, this is something!

A few pages back there was a what to do next question. How about a support ship such as repair ship AR-5 USS Vulcan, which lasted from WW2 in to the 1980s. That my Dad was XO for a couple years has nothing to do with it being suggested, right
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.06 MB
very clean built, 1/700 scale is suitable building a fleet with limited space to display :D
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCoatney View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, Doug.

Actually, I've got a book of about 30 World War 2 ship plans about finished. It is hard to sell anything - even desktop published - (from) here in Norway, because of the artificially high printing prices and 25% Value Added Tax.

When I'm ready to go, I'll let folks know.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.
Not sure if it's been done before, but how about a digital book of plans that one could download from a webpage by purchase? Could perhaps be sold on a site like eCardmodels, with the customer printing it out and using cardstock for the model sheets. Might be a way to cut down on the production/printing costs and making it readily available...maybe with a password required to open it, much like paper-replika.com does. Just some food for thought.

As always, looking forward to your other designs!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Very nice builds. You call them simple but they don't look that simple to me.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Glad I could be of at least a little assistance - I did not want your work to settle slowly down in the forum postings without a nudge.

Doug
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Thanks again, Doug and everyone.

Jim, I am very leery of digitizing any of my plans except those that are already free on my www.coatneyhistory.com and Lou Coatney: Home Page webpages. Even with passwords, etc., it is just too easy for them to ... fly away ... :-) ... or for other designers to incorporate into other work.

The plans are for entire classes and would not be colored. The builders would have to paint/color them themselves for the individual ships. Actually, I've only painted a few: I really like seeing the lines on the light gray cardstock, but then I'm the designer. :-)

So theoretically from those 30 plans, you could make a couple hundred models of the historical ships.

1:700 is my personal target scale ... for wargaming ... I build *fighting* model ships ... :-) ... but they can be built at much larger scales for display or down to 1:1200. (See my thread about my prototypes to complement Airfix's 1:1200 Sink the Bismarck set.) I've even started a 1:1800 USS Wichita for Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures.

(As to miniature rules, I prefer my own, of course: Naval Action.)

What I'll be working on next is/are:

Fletcher class destroyers (1942 config.)

Sumner class destroyers - same hull (slightly wider) and stacks as Fletchers and even simpler superstructure)

Atlanta/Juneau class light cruisers - yes, I know they're widely available in 1:700 plastic, but they are one of my longtime favorite classes, and I lived in Juneau for 16 years.

Alaska class large cruisers

Converting my L&M and - another favorite - L/AA class British destroyers from manual to digital plans

Leander and Arethusa class light cruisers - since I've already got the turrets, etc., for the Sydney/Perth/Hobart class

More County class variants, although those waterline torpedo bulges of the early ships seem daunting

etc.

Note that China's Trumpeter now has BEAUTIFUL 1:700s of the Italian Vittorio Venetos, British Renown, Richelieu ... and is coming out with the reconstructed Queen Elizabeth/Valiant. (Why they did the World War 1 version first is a mystery.) And I am otherwise loathe to feed American dollars to the Chinese military machine.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Can you do a benson class destroyer my late uncle served on two of them in ww2 one was the uss Murphy dd603 the second was the uss lansdale dd426 after the Murphy's bow was cut off he was transferred to the lansdale my uncle jack just past away earlier this month I wanted to be able to make a tribute to him by building the two boats he served on
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I appreciate the issue of losing control over digitized designs. I like the way that Lou Dausse used "print-on-demand" publication for a number of models - I could email him, and he would mail me the printed models, since he had a licensing agreement with the original designers and would share the fee with them. Alas, the concept seems to have died with the transfer of Paper Models International to new hands.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
There was a firm back in the 70's. lou. called HG-Watkins-Waterline Waships, sold a lot os paper ship models a lot like yours except in a larger scale, wish i still had some of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
McHale, I've got a Benson/Gleaves among the plans and have superstructure modifications for all 3 wartime variants: 4G5T, 4G10T, 5G5T. You can see photos of the 5G5T USS Macomb at 1:300 and 1:700 scales on my old webpage at http://lcoat.tripod.com/adshpfot.htm Those inward tilting Gleaves stack caps took about as long as the entire rest of the model to design.

By the way, did you guys know that the Sims hull had the same dimensions as the Benson/Gleaves hull? Sims will be there too: I did a digitized version of it.

I'm not sure how soon this is going to be ready. My personal life over here in Norway is in upheaval, and they don't use/have the practical legal size paper, although I've got a request in to the Staples admin hdqtrs to see if they can have a case shipped over.

But trying to sell the book from Norway is outrageously expensive. Photocopying costs 4 times what it still does even back at Capitol Copy in Juneau Alaska plus I would have to add a 25% value added tax plus what profit would be left to me is cut by the (unnecessarily) inflated cost of living.

I'd be back in the States IMMEDIATELY, except I've got a 3 yr old son and 1 yr old daughter who need me.

We'll see if Staples comes through with the paper.

Thanks for your interest, guys. It keeps me going on this.
Google Adsense