PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Another Mystery Ship for you SHARKS. :-)

My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryships2.jpg

Guns and masts yet to mount on the 1/700. The 1/300 is the prototype.

CAN YOU IDENTIFY THIS SHIP?

Lou Coatney, Lou Coatney's Military and Naval History Games, Writings, and Models, Lou Coatney: Home Page
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Italian Navigatori class destroyer, built 1928-30. The twin 120mm between the funnel is quite distinctive. Further, there is a picture on Wikepedia that is a close match for the angle of the 1/300 model in your picture. The funnel cap suggests that you're building a unit close to the start of WW2.

Looks sweet!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM

You know your ships, NimitzFan. In the Mare Nostrum program of the Victory At Sea TV series, it refers to the Italian Navy as being considered "the cardboard fleet" indeed.

The next one I put up should be closer to your namesake's theater of operations.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 AM

Next Mystery Ship(s) :-)

My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryships3.jpg

OK, you swabs ... and SHARKS. I'm just completing design of the ship/class in the foreground. I was surprised how well the "neck of a swan" bow turned out, and you should be able to see that the foremost stack is higher than the rest.

The darker ship in the background was my first CAD-designed model - my aerospace engineer son Robert (then 13) taught me how to do that - and note that the main battery gun turrets do rotate. These are at 1/700 scale for get-down-on-the-floor wargaming.

Maybe I should title this Hec Waller's Revenge? (His grandson Andrew co-commanded the Allies in a what-if Battle off Malaya shootout at 1/700 scale down in St. Louis, some years ago.)

There are more photos of the background ship on my Lou Coatney: Home Page webpage ... but don't look before you guess its identity.

Lou Coatney, Lou Coatney's Military and Naval History Games, Writings, and Models
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Very nicely done, Lou!

At 1/700 what does the length of this newest addition to the fleet come out to?

Thank you for sharing photos of your work, you have created some very neat looking ships!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lou -- I don't see any responses to your query as to what ships you are modeling, so I will try my hand.

The ship in the background looks like one of the modified Leander class light cruisers used by the Royal Australian Navy in World War II (Perth, Sydney, and Hobart) - probably Hobart, based on your comments that indicate the ship served in the Pacific.

The ship in the foreground looks like one of the IJN Sendai class (Naka, Jintsu, and Sendai).

Don
Old 10-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Jim, thanks again for the encouragement. You're right, Don, that's Jintsu ... at 8.1 " long at 1/700 scale. And you're right again: Captain Hec(tor) Waller died with his ship, HMAS Perth, alongside USS Houston, in the Battle of Sunda Strait, 28Feb/1Mar42. He left behind a beautiful wife and 2 sons, one of whom is Andrew and Richard's father. There is now an HMAS Waller attack submarine.

I might add that Sendai is different from her sisters, Jintsu and Naka, in that she has the old regular-curved cutter bow and all her stacks are equal height.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I have the Butler DE waiting to be built - now want to do the Hunt as well!!!I love the cruisers, especially the two Counties, with London looking so different from her sister
Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Mr. Coatney- have you ever designed the American Detroit-class light cruisers? I've long been fascinated by USS Marblehead's role in the early battles of the Asiatic Fleet in WW2, after reading "The Fleet the Gods Forgot."

Wyvern
Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 AM

What scale are you building them at, Dartlynx? The Hunt Type 1 is probably the best to begin with. Don't overlook the German Raubvogel torpedoboot plan, while it's there. I also have the plan for the Norwegian Sleipner class small destroyers on my www.coatneyhistory.com page.

I've studied the Detroits, Wyvern. Previously, I'd been deterred by the uplifted bridges on tripod superstructures - I would very much like to redo the Zaras in CAD and eventually do Salt Lake City - but Jintsu went pretty well and was encouraging, so they may be in the future. For the Battle of the Kommandorski Islands, I've already got the Bensons done.
Google Adsense