PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lou - I like your (Shiratsuyu?) class Japanese destroyer and believe that your idea of a nameplate to identify you as the designer and the builder is an excellent idea. Don
Old 07-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
I take that as high praise, Don, thanks.

You are correct as usual: that is Shigure's (Shiratsuyu) class.

These designs I'm working on for my complementary Bismarck battles ships can be upscaled to 1:700 etc. as well ... and I'm learning how to do color/camouflage/markings. For example, I can do the Tribal and JKN class destroyers with their L or G or whatever pennant numbers, as required.

I am approaching completion of 2 projects - one big and the Bismarck battles one small ... which typically turned out to be much larger than expected, but very instructively.

All the best.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
is there any way to downlosd the Bismarck set ships? I'd love them.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm not comfortable with downloadable plans, ju52. I think they are too easily pirated.

If I do make these available, they will be in printed paper form, but the cost of everything here in Norway ... along with the European Union/Norwegian 25% added tax ... makes pricing prohibitive.

And there does seem to be a problem with colorizing: inkjet ink is ultimately dye which fades, no matter how good, while laser printer toner/powder flakes off. Traditional mass printing - with pigment - appears to be the best, but then it becomes mass, expensive color printing.

I do have an alternative in mind, but it wouldn't be colorized.

Thanks for asking.

Meanwhile, I'm working up a LONG overdue Atlanta/Juneau design, which seems comparatively simple, so far ... but then they all do at the start.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Alright. Your designs are fantastic, though. If you ever release them, email or pm me, as I'd be more than interested.
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2012, 05:25 PM

I now have an ORIGINAL ONI 203 French Naval Vessels :-)

Some drawings and photos from my copy of ONI 203 French Naval Vessels now up on my Lou Coatney's Military and Naval History Games, Writings, and Models webpage.

At some expense I acquired this original ONI 203, French Naval Vessels, Feb43. It is the only original copy I know of, and that is including libraries.

Although it finally gives me the ONI plans for both battle cruisers Dunkerque and Strasbourg, heavily armored heavy cruiser Algerie, and Casablanca-doomed light cruiser Primaguet, ONI 203 is disappointing: the only deck and side plans for destroyers were for the Simoun class, and I was hoping for finally having some for the Mogador/Volta and LeHardi heavy and late construction classes. (I did add the little Le Hardi side view from ONI 204 German Naval Vessels.)

I suspect the scuttling of the French fleet in Toulon in Nov42 removed the need for a more comprehensive coverage in Feb43. Fortunately, there are such plans for the Suffren and Tourville heavy(?) cruiser classes in the 1950 ONI 200, but still ....

The original plans for French warships are on Internet at
Service historique de la Dfense - Base des photographies et plans de bateaux

but these do not include the wartime LeHardi destroyers or Strasbourg, and it takes some time finding the external views/plans needed for model designing.

Also on my webpage are photos of the latest World War 2 cardstock model ships I have designed and "2-D" sideview model plans for those needing miniature renditions on short notice for wargames, etc.

I have designed all the ships I have wanted for my project and am now ready to enter Phase 2.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks for making these available, Lou. They are a great resource and among the most attractive of ships side views.

I have the ONI books for U.S. and British ships and the USNI reprint of the ONI on Japanese ships, but I never was able to score the French volume.

Don
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the thanks, Don.

I hope to have Phase 2 completed by late this spring.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Hello Lou,

I have been reading "Neptune's Inferno" recently and had to check out your thread here again - just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that you have another customer waiting if you ever seek to sell these models commercially. I am aware of your concerns about doing so and of course they are yours to do with as you please, but I would be one happy camper should you decide to sell them someday. With three kids in the house anything too complicated is just beyond my ability, and these seem oh so right.

Doug
Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, Doug.

Actually, I've got a book of about 30 World War 2 ship plans about finished. It is hard to sell anything - even desktop published - (from) here in Norway, because of the artificially high printing prices and 25% Value Added Tax.

When I'm ready to go, I'll let folks know.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.
Google Adsense