PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Hello All,
I have been constructing the bridge deck, containing the wheel house, the ships officers quarters and, at the rear, the swimming pool.
The pool is an interesting construction, it was covered by the top deck, but an opening was provided, so that sunshine could enter the pool. The top deck was called the lido and was open for first class passengers.
Pic 1 shows the bridge deck in overview. I am constructing lengthwise supports for the top deck, because it will be in 2 seperate parts, a grey central one, which will hold various air intakes and cargo hatches, and on both sides a long stretch in dark green, representing the part of the deck for handling the lifeboats.
In pic 2, the rear part at the left shows the deck area where the swimming pool is located, with the changing cabins. Pic 3 shows the lido deck that will cover the pool deck, with the open part. The funnel is located directly in front of the pool and looking up from the pool, you would be amazed by the view from the pool of the huge funnel rising up. How that looks like, is subject for the next step.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-21-2-bridge-deck.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-21-3-bridge-deck-swimming-pool-opening.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-21-4-lido-deck-over-swimming-pool.jpg  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
That deck looks like a complex piece of construction.
Very well done.
Mike
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks Mike, maybe it looks complicated, but basically it is fairly straightforward. The deckhouses are just strips with the windows cut out, and doors added, and then attached to the deck with a strip of thick cardboard at the back, to provide support. The length-wise cardboard strips will serve as a support for the top deck, which I am planning to make from two parts of card, each in a separate colour. The middle part will be grey and the side parts will be dark green. I'll show you in the next up-date.
Cheers.
Robert
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM

I have as a next step constructed and installed the swimming pool.
Pic 1 shows the template to check the right size and fit, and in pic 2 the pool is cut out in nice turquoise coloured paper and glued in shape.
As I explained earlier, the pool is decorated with a large mosaic reaching up to the lido deck. I made that by stapling brown and blue coloured paper together and cutting out a tiny map of the world simultaneously through both layers, pic 3. Because of that technique, the parts were cut out in the same size, so I could insert the brown world continents into the blue world oceans. A cris-cros carving over the combination gave a nice (I think) mosaic effect. Pics 4 and 5 show how the pool and mosaic now look like.
Finally, I dry fitted the lido deck, see pic 6. It is fun to build all this, but in the end, it will all be covered by the lido deck for the larger part. Ah, well, on to the funnel etc.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-1-template-swimming-pool.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-2-constructing-pool.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-3-making-decor-mosaic.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-4-dry-fitting-pool.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-5-pool-installed.jpg  

Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-22-6-lido-deck-dry-fitted.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Hello all,
I have been working on the funnel and its base, pic 1. The base deckhouse contains a number of ventilation louvres,which I made from dark coloured card, with white thin strips glued with spacing onto it. In pic 3 you can see the result. The funnel is straightforward, I measured its correct model size from the plans, and printed out the shape in that size from a vintage cardmodel that I have in my collection. I transferred this shape onto orange and black shiny card and assembled the funnel, pic 2.
Now is the time to put the lido finally in its place. First however, there are two support posts on the swimming pool deck, to support the lido. The result is in pic 4. Unfortunately the changing cabins and the bar tend to disappear in this arrangement.
In pic 5. the bridge wing are installed, just a double strip of white, bend in the shape of the bridge wing and glued to the deck.
The time has come to prepare all the railings and strips to mark the deck edges and attach them to the ship. I like this parts best, it really gives the impression of a real ship, with all the railings.
And so the ship starts to look like a true oceanliner, as in pic 6 and 7. One of these days I must start to think about davits and life boats.
If you have any questions or good advice, I would really like to hear that. Anything to improve your skills!
See you next time.
R
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-1-funnel-base-preparation.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-2-building-funnel.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-3-supports-lido-deck.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-4-lido-deck-place.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-5-bridge-wing.jpg  

Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-6-bridge-railing-funnel.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-23-7-overview-so-far.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Awesome work!

She has really shaped up nicely, wonderful details throughout and I love the effect of the shiny finish used on some of the parts, quite striking...brilliant work!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks Jim, for your kind words. I now varnish all my card paper models with UV-protective varnish or in case of thin paper models with UV protection spray. When all details on this ship, like railings, finishing strips, deck cranes, ventillation shafts etc have been installed, I will spray the whole model with UV spray. Although she'll get a bit more shiny, it does give a special effect. As soon as I have more photo's of the next step, I'll post them.
Greetings till then.
Robert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Very Nice Job she looks very shipshape something sbout cruis and ocen liners always caoture the romance of the sea Very well done.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Hello Friends,
Before I can start attaching all those details of railings etc I need first to install the lifeboats and davits. Initially, the "Oranje" had 14 lifeboats, of which one was a smaller boat and one was a motorlaunch. Basically I use the classical design for lifeboats as most cardmodel designers use, a single piece of boat-sides and a top, that is glued together to make a fairly rough model of a lifboat. I am looking for that bulbous shape that is charateristic of a rowing boat and after some experimenting, I found that making two slits in the sides of the boat would allow for a more rounded shape. In pictures 1 and 2 you can see a number of test models I made from drawings that I pushed into the correct size by resizing in the graphic programme Paint Shop Pro that I use.
After I had the correct shape and size, I multiplied the design by 14 , pic 3 and drafted the davits, pic 4.
The davits, two per lifeboat, are built up of a gravity operated carrier rolling on track supports. I am planning to print the two sides of the carriers (front and back) separately from the support, so that the supports front and back side are glued on both sides of each carrier. That will leave an open groove,which seen from the outside of the ship gives a realistic effect. But first I must make sure that the 14 boats and the 28 davits consisting of 112 parts are correctly located on the paper for printing, see pic 5 for a screen dump of the designing process. On the checkered image, if you look closely, you can just see the outlines of the 14 lifeboats.
Well, that's it for today. I hope I was understandable, let me know if any clarification is needed.
So long.
R
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-1-lifeboat-design-trials.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-2-lifeboat-design-trials-overview.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-3-lifeboats.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-4-davits.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-24-5-drawings-lifeboats-davits.jpg  

Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Ahoy, Robert:

Yes, indeed, I understood the explanation quite well...I see the shape of the boats as described, noting the one marked "OK" on the interior! It never ceases to amaze me how a slit here and there can modify the way the paper curves and shapes out...and your design creates a very realistic shape for the life boat.

I think your method for making the gravity davits will work out quite convincingly as well, from what you describe. It is a bit daunting when you consider the total number of parts you have to cut out and assemble, but I am very sure the end result will be more than satisfying and add to an already beautiful ship build!

Looking forward to more when you have a chance.

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense