PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Thanks Jim, for your good comments. I finished the first lifeboat as per drawing, and I think it is acceptable to use here. The only thing I added was a keel, which will make the underside of the boat true and straight.
As you can see, I cut the railing in small portions to fit in betweeen the davits. Difficult to maintain a contineous line of railing, but it does show the split in the davits for the cranes to slide down the davit supports.
Robert.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-25-1-life-boat-final-shape.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-25-2-first-life-boat-place.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-25-3-lifeboat-oiverview.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-25-4-lifeboat-underside.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Robert,
You did a fine job maintaining a continuous line of railing. It looks straight and uniform. Nice ship!
Mike
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM

An airplane flying over

Another update, but today not quite on the subject of the "Oranje". The prospect of assembling 14 life boats and 28 davits consisting of 84 parts seemed too much of a bore, and since I happened to get my hands on an authentic 1950's card model of the Fokker F-27 "Friendship", a succesful DC-3 successor build as a twin engined turboprop in 1956, I decided to make a copy of the fragile card model and start building that as an interlude. Unfortunately, I forgot to make pictures during building, so I can only show some pics as ready.
The original card model is printed on a cardboard sheet of 81 x 38 cm, so I had it copied on 5 A-3 sheets, such, that the major parts would be on one sheet. The construction is simple and straight-forward. The only additional detailing I did was open the cockpit and cabin windows and glaze them with transparencies, and add an undergear, so it could sit properly on a flat surface.
Meanwhile I kept thinking how to reduce the boring work of making the life boats and the davits. What I came up with is the subject of the next update.
So, see you next time.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-26-1-card-model-f-27-1950s-copied.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-26-2-f-27-topview.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-26-3-f-27-rear-view.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-26-4-f-27-front-view.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 AM

Well, the interest in a vintage plane on the ships forum is minimal, so let's go on with the davits of the "Oranje".
I have found that building a sort of template and working along the principles of a production line is the fastest way of getting a large collection of identical parts done AND all identical in shape, which is even more essential. As each davit consists of two lower halves and an upper part, sandwiched in between, therefore I built a little template on a piece of wood, in which to secure one botom half in a fixed place with the help of little pieces of 1 mm thck cardboard. The upper part is also secured in its correct location in the same way, see pic 1 and 2.
Then it is just a matter of putting one bottom half in the template, glue the upper part on top and then glueing the second bottom half on top of that. That gives you a davit in one minute and they are all of exactly the same shape, see pics 3 and 4.
Best regards for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-27-1-making-davit-template.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-27-2-one-side-bottom-part-davit-first.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-27-3-other-bottomhalf-place.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-27-4-finished-davit-83-go.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work on the davits.

And the airplane looks great.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Excellent idea to use a jig to replicate the davits...worked out very well!

I liked the airplane too, but not knowing this type I really had nothing to say...except it come out great!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
I liked the airplane too, but not knowing this type I really had nothing to say...except it come out great!

Cheers!
Jim
The airplane is the Fokker F27; for many years a good old guest on the Bremen Airport; a plane for short distances ... I took them often when I go to Amsterdam and further to East and South-Africa ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Ah, "jig" is the word I was looking for, thanks.
The Fokker F-27 was license built in the USA as the Fairchild FH-227. Around 200 build. The Durtch version was in production from 1958 to 1985, around 700 production units. It was succeeded by the Fokker 50 till the end of the Fokker Aircraft Factory in the 1990's. It was actually the most succesfull turboprop type in the world. The first one of 1958 was only recently retired to a museum, I believe. It was mainly glued together, in stead of rivetted, light and strong with an very long life span, 90 000 landings.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 AM

Hello All,
Time for a brief update. The davits are all made and done, and I now need to attach them to the apropriate length of railing, so that I can assure they are all in one line. To achieve that, I copied the actual length of the boat deck on a glass plate ( a mirror in my case), so that glue would not stick to it. I then divided the deck line in the correct portions to indicate the place of each davit, and so the deck length in between would be the correct length of the railing between the davits. I cut the railing in those sections and glued them to each davit to the righthand side, I hope you can see what I mean in pic 1. In pic 2 you can see a number of "sub-assemblies" of one davit and the correct length of railing to its right. Having done that, I attached each davit with its railing onto the boat deck, as you can see in pic 3. They are now ready to receive the life boats, as I will show you in the next update. In pic 4 finally, a view of the row of davits as seen from the rear. Through the glass door you can see the swimming pool, but it seems a little dark there, so I'll try a better lighting next time.
Greetings.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-28-1-positions-davits-railing-subassembly.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-28-2-subassy-ready-installation.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-28-3-davits-place.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-28-4-view-rear.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Greetings, Robert!

Those davits and railings really came out great!

Nice technique and execution, coming along quite well.

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense