Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
First class design and build

Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Stunning

This is a truly beautiful ship, and a stunningly accurate build by you. Be proud..indeed be VERY proud of what you have achieved here sir
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Hello all,
Time for a little update of covered work in the last few weeks.
First an overview of the assembly, more or less as a production line, of the lifeboats, 14 in total. Meanwhile, I have been working on the boat deck, where various air ventillation shafts are placed, together with some railing. Also the winches for the loweing of the life boats were installed, and that deck is starting to look nicely cluttered, just as in the real thing, see the second and also the last picture.
In the third pic, the various details of the foredeck can be seen, anchor winches, boulders and again ventillation shafts. In the next two side views, I have differentiated in the configuration pre-1959 (left side) and post-1959. An enclosure of the cinema veranda was added, and the wooden enclosure of the childrens deck as seen in the left side view, was removed. Finally a detail of the boats and sports deck in the last picture.
As soon as all life boats are done, they will go up in their davits, and I'll be back by then.
Greetings.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-1-lifeboat-assembly.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-3-overview-right-side-higher.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-4-frontal-view.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-4-full-side-view-right-side.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-6-full-side-view-left-side.jpg  

Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-30-7-detail-boat-bridge-deck.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Eternal Member

Excellent design and build

Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wonder detailing and superb construction techniques evident throughout! I love the assembly line photo of the life boats, it does explain the process quite well.

Can't say enough about the way this one is turning out, the side view photos say it all...brilliant!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2010, 03:43 AM

Hi Robert,

stunning work! Scratch building of a true liner, that has the fine looks of days long gone...
Concerning the life boats: I built some boats a few days ago and my kit offered 2 versions: First one without cuts at the tops (as we're used to with many available model kits) and the second one with several small cuts at the tops. They didn't run that deep into the hull but there were not only 2 by each side but 7 (scale 1:250). I was afraid that building the second version I would end up with these cuts clearly visible, so i decided to use the first version. Your boats use a similar technique and i must admit, that they are more bulbous than my boats, thus coming closer to the original.
Maybe i'll test the "cut-version" with my next model. Especially if you use tarpaulin to cover the boat, the flaps at the sides could be used to disguise the cuts.

Great work on your model, Robert, thank you for sharing

Kind regards

Lars
Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Thanks for all your nice remarks, gentlemen.

Lars, I agree with you, the cuts to give a better shape to the lifeboats are rather notable, and I too am thinking how to reduce their visibility (the cuts I mean ). I haven't made up my mind yet, maybe I should sand down the edges carefully and whiten them. Another method which crosses my mind, is that in some cases the boats were secured with a rope around their sides to secure them to the davits in case of heavy seas, to avoid rattling. Model rope could perhaps be used to camouflage the cuts. I'll have to experiment on this.

Meanwhile, just to see the overall effect, I attached the lifeboats as they are with non-permanent glue, so I can take them off later, when I found out, how to treat these boats. The cuts do give a better bulbeous effect to the boats, as they look like in real life. Also the 10 deckcranes are finished.
So I include a few pictures of the "Oranje" with part of her lifeboats in place and the deckcranes attached

Greets
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-31-1-lifeboats-cranes.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-31-2-rear-view-lifeboats-cranes.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-31-3-front-deck-cranes.jpg   Dutch Royal Mail ms Oranje-31-4-detail-funnel.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Just beautiful! And I mean both the ship and the build.

David
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
OH YEAH, man. This is what paper modeling is for! Really among the best projects anywhere.

Carl
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A truly beautiful model.

Don
Google Adsense