PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I must say looks beautiful as it is now I can just think oh my word it be pure magic when finished. when you mentioned during the HMS Victory build your project of the soverign of the sea I was thinking of the cruiseliner of that name.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
In my early modeling days I built the Airfix plastic version of the Royal Sovereing. That was in scale 1/168 and I nearly lost my mind with all the gilded details she carries. This is a wonderfull start yet an other beautifull ship of yours. I'll join the crew and follow this closely. Thanks.

Tappi
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Wonderful job, Doris. Where do you get the plastic film you use for wood simulation?

Garland
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.39 MB
Outstanding work.I'll follow your build with great interest.

John
Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Hello everybody!

Thank you very much for your words! I am very honored and have motivation to continue at my work!

The weather is rainy in these days, so I have more time for modeling. I have just finished starboard and down part of stern.

About foils – the wooden look tape is from ALKOR manufacturer. I took some pictures where you can see how to stick the self-adhesive foil strips on the surface. Never touch the glue by your fingers! Use tweezers and try to keep the protective tape on foils so long as possible. After sticking itīs important to use warm air for best adhesion and shaping. I often leave the model outside, when itīs sunny and hot for the best possible effect.

Last edited by DORIS; 07-30-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Looks super! This ship is more inspiration for shipbuilding, nice work of course
The texture that is acheived with the plastic foil tape gives a uniformity and look that
is amazing.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Thanks for showing the wooden tape application, Doris. It looks similar to what we call "contact paper" in the USA, but perhaps thinner gauge. Does it come in narrow strips, or do you cut it yourself?

Garland
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Hello friends!

Thank you very much for your comments.

About self-adhesive foils: I buy them in rolls (they are usually offering in various width – 30, 60 and 90 cm). For cutting narrow strips I use sharp knife with thin blade). I cut the foils along the ruler on cardboard underlay.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Hello Doris, Another ship in the works. You are just starting and already it looks great from the bulkheads to the planking. I shall sit back and enjoy your progress.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hi, Doris!

What a magnificent project, and a wonderful photographic log of your build! I am thoroughly enjoying this build thread and can't wait to see how you tackle the guilding and ornamentation.

I know just a little about this ship, but from what I have seen, mosting in the wooden ship modeling community, this is quite an undertaking. I have little doubt, no doubt at all, actually, that you will do a superb job in building this model, based upon your prior build threads.

For anyone who is not familiar with this particular ship, you are in for quite a treat as Doris continues with this build. The Mantua kit from which the she mentions the hull plans were used is quite a premier kit in the wooden ship modeling world, although there have been a few critiques regarding the ornamentation used in the kit when compared to recent research. I am happy to note Doris mentions having the nautical forensics assistance of some experts in the field to help her with those details.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to seeing this tremendous build!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense