PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
CSS Virginia

Since CT Ertz hasn't been feeding my addiction to ironclads this week, I was forced to make a David Hathaway model instead. Here's some photos of his CSS Virginia model. The model can be purchased from Paper Shipwright at Paper Shipwright - Card Models . There's a good build report at Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | abgeschlossene Bauberichte | [Fertig]Ironclad CSS Virginia 1: 250 Paper Shipwright

Next build in my shipyard are the CSS Arbemarle and CSS Nuese.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia-104_2346.jpg   CSS Virginia-104_2349.jpg   CSS Virginia-104_2347.jpg   CSS Virginia-104_2348.jpg   CSS Virginia-css_virginia-photo.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking Love It!

Hi,

I love the CSS Virginia, and it goes hand in hand with the USS Monitor. I am definitely going to have to design and build one. There are a whole bunch of changes to make though.

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
awesome build buddy! how about doing a micro

I wanted to mention at my library display your ironclads got TONS of compliments and while I was packing up I had two people come up and ask if they could hold them specifically
Chris
Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Absolutely amazing build!
Great detail work!

Jeff
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
awesome build.
This model is one reason why I have not made the CSS Virginia myself. Just as MM has produced such a good model of the CSS Albemarle/CSS Neuse that I have not done those either. I do not think I could do as good of a job and sure not better then those already available.

On the Union side, I can not top Avery's 1/250 scale waterline monitors or Dragos's full hull Monitor in 1/300 scale.

CT
Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Good Looking Ship

How is your CSS Arkansas coming along? Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Joe
Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Since CT Ertz hasn't been feeding my addiction to ironclads this week, I was forced to make a David Hathaway model instead. Here's some photos of his CSS Virginia model. The model can be purchased from Paper Shipwright at Paper Shipwright - Card Models . There's a good build report at Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | abgeschlossene Bauberichte | [Fertig]Ironclad CSS Virginia 1: 250 Paper Shipwright

Next build in my shipyard are the CSS Arbemarle and CSS Nuese.

Knife
A HARDY WELL DONE on the old Virginia, I have a good set of model plans for her arival the Monitor 3ft model I got them from www.marylandsilver.com they have a great varity of model plans from civil war to the second world war.. I been toying around in makeing one of the ols steel navys irin clads, you done justice to this old girl.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia-popeye-590x442.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Wow Deckape, is that a recent photo or one from your service days?

I built the Virginia last summer, seems like a long time ago. I built it stock, and if I had to redo it I think I would lower her down some. The beaver tail aft deck should be just under the waterline. I also would make the hurricane deck to represent wood rather than armor. A moving ship in that era had little chance of being hit with plunging fire.

The Arkansas will be worked on this week, I need to finish up the foreship below the waterline. CT Ertz has raised the bar with his Palmetto State, forcing me to have to go back and detail out my gundeck. I still haven't decided how to do the casemate sides yet. Maybe I should sit back and see how Corey tackles it on his model.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Wow Deckape, is that a recent photo or one from your service days?

I built the Virginia last summer, seems like a long time ago. I built it stock, and if I had to redo it I think I would lower her down some. The beaver tail aft deck should be just under the waterline. I also would make the hurricane deck to represent wood rather than armor. A moving ship in that era had little chance of being hit with plunging fire.

The Arkansas will be worked on this week, I need to finish up the foreship below the waterline. CT Ertz has raised the bar with his Palmetto State, forcing me to have to go back and detail out my gundeck. I still haven't decided how to do the casemate sides yet. Maybe I should sit back and see how Corey tackles it on his model.

Knife
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllll Oh Yes, If i could fit in my sailor suit now with another 10 years of age and heavy drinking of ships grogg and a bunch of fights i would look just like the picture Popey all the way. My New yuears avitar. LOLLLLLLllllllllllll I thought you would like it Ron thinks I aged durring my long model sabbatical. LOLlllllllllllllllll AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh Lreave her alone the old Virginia looks wonderfull you must remember It was made from your hands noone elses. every hand that builds a model has its own charator. the old saying one of the kind It looks good build another. Hardy Well Done.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia-popeye-590x442.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking New Virginia!

Hi,

I have been inspired....no actually just started another ironclad for the collection. And....already the Virginia is going to be a booger with curves. Anyway, here is a first pic!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia-css-virginia-iso.jpg  

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Google Adsense