PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell

Ahoy
I ran out of No.11 blades got to go to the shop and buy more, but for temporary I will finish this build here before I start to finish My AD6 Skyraider build. I can get by without blades on this one. Ok sailors, here is a model made from scratch I started this 1n 1956 the plans for it came from the Mechanix Illistrated May of 1956 back in those days modeling was always a chalenge and you couldn,t waite till the next magizine came out they always had model plans in every months issue. I sent away for these plans to this it cost 25 cents it took 4 weeks for it to arrive the plans call for materials all wood. I used wooden hull stations veneered in cardstock. 99 percent of this model is all paper.

the model is the Coast Guard Cutter Campbell the way she appeared in 1940 configuration, a lot different in appearence copared to her last refit the 1940 Campbell had 2 open 5 inch gun mounts along with two single 40 mm, On her stern she carried one SOC Seagull seaplane, no catapault for steam launching. to me this is a mistery why she carried this aircraft. The only soloution I can figure out is that her 5 ton boom attached to the rear of her mast is used to pick the aircraft off the deck from its cradel and lowered into he water. In 1941 she was repainted all Ocean gray. used in the Atlantic theater. she was fitted with depth charges and K guns she still had her 5 inch open mount guns. after the war she was refited and all depth charge racks and K guns were deleted. repainted back to all white with deck gray decks Buff funned with black soot top. her % inch open tuibs were faired in and made into closed mounts. I should have this one done in a couple good days, when finished I will start finishing up my Skyraider, Here is the Campell.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0001.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0002.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0003.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0004.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0005.jpg  

U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0006.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0007.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
HI Boats,

Another one of your lovely ship models! I am looking forward to watching all the interesting stuff sprout up on the decks. The way you built this one up makes it pretty special alongside the run of the mill models that you buy a plastic molded kit for.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
I like the pre-war configuration, she seems a little classier to me. Nice build deckape. I may not always comment but I love to see what you have been working on, even the 55year old projects.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM

Thanks fellas
thanks shipmates for replies on my Campbell i have hundreds of ship models, you havent seen nothing yet. they all will be posted here this year. tommorow I will put a dent into this one, it is about 85 percent finished all though there is a lot more work involved so i will keep you fellas posted here, when done i bring out another surprise, I attached some more pictures here are the blueprints to the model as you can see this is a ancient model noticed the treatment of the plans they are old like me starting to show their age. I was young and dumb 16 when i started this build at times I amaze myself haveing things like this scince boyhood you all are see my lifes work before your eyes. I wouldn,t have it any other way I am honered to be here.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0009.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0010.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0011.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0012.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0013.jpg  

U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0014.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0015.jpg  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Update Pictures

Ahoy
Been at this scince 04:00 in the morning couldn,t sleep when you get older in this world you cant sleep that much, I always a early riser i guess when you serve 30 years in Navy you are use to it. Ok enough of that Bilge today so far i have the superstructure assembly pretty well knocked out. a coupe more details and its done. Next i will proceed what left on the hull structure Lifeboats and a few more sundries. then the finishing touch the rigging. here aree the updates for now more tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0016.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0017.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0018.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0019.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0020.jpg  

U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0021.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0022.jpg  
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Almost Done

Ahoy

All righty then I am done for the night, I been on this model for 17 hours straight, I prabaly have another 5 hours more and she is completed, then i can place a dust cover on her and let collect dust. Ok I have all the fittings installed all made fram hand and some by my lathe. all navigation and running lights are all turned on my lathe. all of the ships boats are made from solid wood veneered with cardstock pre doped for strength. I love the smell of banana oil it brings back memories back in balsa wood flying models. nostalgia at its best. the two utility cranes aft are made from cardstock. all is left to do is the rigging no sweat for me i,ll get her done. when she is finished i will bring out another surprise to be completed.not atleast bushed. so fellas here are the update pictures for the night more tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0001.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0002.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0003.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0004.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0005.jpg  

U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0006.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0007.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0008.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0009.jpg   U.S.C.G. Cutter Campbell-pict0010.jpg  

Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Wood that be the same class as coast guard cutter "Ewing"? Because im quite a fan of the old ship...To bad she might be sold for scrap soon...
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMidwayMan View Post
Wood that be the same class as coast guard cutter "Ewing"? Because im quite a fan of the old ship...To bad she might be sold for scrap soon...

Mr. Midwayman

Yes the coast guard Cutter Campbell is the same class as the Ewing,Bibb,and Tanny all launched in 1936, Stationed in Subic bay Phillipines I went aboard the coast Guard Cutter Tanny, A very clean ship all White,buff with deck Gray decks, I am quite certain that in a matter of time these ships will be taken to the breakers, and sold for scrap.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Eternal Member

Looking great Boats. Your new camera brings out the
detailing and shows your craftsmanship....Ron
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Looking great Boats. Your new camera brings out the
detailing and shows your craftsmanship....Ron

\
Ron
Thanks dear Sir Still turning two on her i am starting the rigging I will finish her tommorow and bring up another surprise, when i get some more No.11 blades I start the card kits . thanks Ron your the best.