PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bob:

I know the feeling... I'm on my fifth hull right now for the Montana-class Battleship I'm designing. Every time I get done with a hull, or even get along in the process, I find something that didn't work out the way it did before, and it causes an issue that leads to the building of a new hull. It is definitely a learning process.

I'd be careful dismissing "easy" models though. It isn't the level of difficulty that you ought to be concerned with, it's the challenge of learning new techniques and being able to implement them that is the process. You said yourself that if you had done something differently, you wouldn't have had to trash your model. If you knew the techniques better, and had the experience working in a different medium, it might have turned out otherwise. It isn't the challenge you ought to be concerned about, it's the experience. Remember, perfection isn't a destination, its a road. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Eternal Member

Agree with Lancer, easy kits may seem at times to be waste of time when you wanna do a kit but the thing is they get you to use methods that are needed on the next build. Right now I am looking for a free kit that has the the wheels done in a manner like the dukw I have on order after seeing photos of the kit page for that I know it has the wheels done up in a manner I have never done before. But that is the project for next year sometime. I am buidling a few freebies to learn methods for the Uboat I bought last year. Just don't feel ready just yet for tha project but hope to start on that sometime in the winter.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Bob you are a master craftsman in the art of wooden shipbuilding.

Your story reminds me of the professional basketball superstar who, some years ago, decided to try his hand at professional baseball. I suspect your foray into paper modeling has enhanced your appreciation for the skills and expertise you have spent years, if not decades, developing in the arena of wooden shipbuilding.

Whether it is made of paper or wood does not matter. Your ships provide inspiration to us all.

Mike
Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Bob, I can relate to your liking the challenge of complex kits over simplicity, but it does make the learning curve steeper and more expensive. One thing for you to consider though. In the paper modeling world, more expensive does not particularly mean more complex and challenging a kit. So far, at least, the designers of the paper modeling fraternity is less driven by the financial gain than in other media. Unfortunately, that is changing....I see a trend going in kit manufacturers that they are including more and more of the "aftermarket" stuff (and the additional detailing that many of us builders find enjoyment in creating ourselves) into the basic kits....and driving the cost of those kits into the stratosphere. I'm afraid that paper modeling is going the way of slot cars, pricing themselves out of existence. You already learned one of the big lessons in paper, which is that paper is much less forgiving than wood for seemingly small errors in parts alignment. With ships in particular, if the framework isn't right, the build is on a death spiral, for the problems just get worse the further you go in the build. You are going the right direction in your decision to lay out the keel and stringer pieces on large enough sheets of cardboard to make them single piece. When you put the individual chunks of the keel onto the cardboard, keep a straightedge handy. I've found that on larger models, it is dang-nigh impossible to keep warpage from creeping in unless I build them "on the halfshell" with the keel pieces pinned down onto a flat building board until the frame half is complete. In some cases, I make both halves of the frame that way (using cardboard only one half as thick as the plans call for for the keel pieces), then gluing the halves together once they are completed, rather than trying to "freebuild" the second half of the structure. When you get to the cannons, I recommend you try building one or two of the paper ones even if you buy aftermarkets....if for no other reason than to get an appreciation of what can be accomplished in "just paper." More time consuming, admittedly, but I find the personal satisfaction gained worth the time spent.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 AM

Hi guys, I'm back! I just received the Santa Maria card model kit with laser cut parts. Wow, what a kit. I've built a lot of wooden model ship kits over the past 20 years but this one takes the prize, great set of fittings such as blocks and belaying pins, the mast and yardarms are already perfectly tapered, and all of the parts are laser cut for you on the proper thickness of card stock.

I've already got the model framed and the first skin on it and it is coming along great. It has a total of 3 layers of skin with the 3rd layer being the actual planks. I'll post some photos soon.

Take care,

Bob
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Hello Bob, I'm eagerly awaiting a buildlog for your Santa Maria. Those Shipyard kits are truely amazing, but indeed challenging for a firsttimer cardmodeller.
I tried their Santa Leocadia twice, till I found out on different forea that there seems to be a designmistake that practically makes it impossible to align the gunports correctly. She's now on the attick waiting till I have a bit more experience to find and correct the mistake.
Have fun with your Santa Maria though...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 AM

Bob:

Good to see you jumped right back on the horse. Err... The ship, I mean.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
Bob:

Good to see you jumped right back on the horse. Err... The ship, I mean.

The horse can be on the ship of course
Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Bravo, Bob!

Excellent news!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and updates!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancooper View Post
The horse can be on the ship of course
I can't believe I'm writing this....

Of course, of course...

:D
Google Adsense