PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have this model in my pile of kits and have looked it over many times, admiring the bazillion parts, but have been too chicken to start it. The thought of cutting out all those formers intimidates the mess out of me. I thought about laminating them to 2 mm and cutting them out on a little reciprocating saw I have, sort of like cutting wood on a bandsaw. I need to do a feasability study on this...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Don, thanks for the info! If you guys didn't give me the history lessons I would probably never know what exactly it was that i am building :D

Carl, I don't really like long models either but all the things i like tend to be long so it is a necessary evil I guess! I actually did exactly what you suggested with the pieces in the corners. Your Charlemagne build thread (as well as any other thread by you) is a great source of info, as well as beautiful subjects and fine builds!

Jim, you have a thread anywhere on your Lexington? I would really love to see it. My instructions called for 1mm formers but would have done alot better with 2mm. I too was stiff and sore from cutting out formers, it took about 2 days to get full feeling back in my left hand after all the cutting :D

Barry, It is a good thing that it is all gonna be covered up because mine is UGLY! Didn't think of adding extra spines, that is a great idea and I will probably use it if i run into this problem again.
And don't worry about the non technical suggestions, those are usually the best ones and I probably wouldn't understand anything technical anyways :p

Cardmodeler, This model would probably benefit greatly from 2mm wooden formers (and a better builder than me). Other than that the build is really not that difficult so don't be afraid to give it a go.

Pictures are uploading now so I will have an update with pictures in a few minutes!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM

Lots of work done in the past couple of days.
Before the deck can be put on there are parts added for the life boat stations.
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics but my camera does not have many settings and these were the best i could do.

Boat hoists

boats added

Other things added
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Flightdeck added. This was a pain to put on in one piece but it turned out rather well. In the book there didn't seem to be any color variation at all but once it was cut out and assembled there is a horrific color difference in all 4 parts of the deck. No 2 parts are the same color. The biggest difference is right in the middle of the deck as you can see below. I guess they couldn't find a tree big enough to do the whole deck so that will explain the color variation:p

It actually looks better in the picture than it does in person.

here are some more shots for you

Some instructions would be really helpful in this build but it is not impossible to do without them. The diagrams are not near as good as I originally thought. There are many parts that never show up in the drawings. One rather large part is not in the sub assembly drawing it belongs too and I only figured out it was needed from studying another drawing of the completed ship and the fact that another similar part was added to the other side and it looked strange to have 2 almost identical assemblies with one of them missing a rather large part on the bottom.
All in all the fit is excellent and it is not a very difficult build once you study the diagrams for hours. With the deck added the whole model has become very solid and it really feels good to have that first large piece on there to look like I am making progress.
If you need a better pic of something let me know and I will do my best to get it up for you.
Questions and comments welcome as always!
Thanks for looking guys!

Total build time: 26 hours

Last edited by Kevin G; 01-30-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks nice and smooth! Great job so far.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wow! You've made great progress, Kevin. This is going to be a VERY pretty ship.

Don
Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Kevin,
This is an excellent selection of a historic WW II aircraft carrier...I hope that you enjoy the build...we will enjoy your progress reports!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Great build going there! Don't worry too much about the flight deck mismatch - just put it by a sunny window when you aren't working on it - it'll all look the same after awhile -
Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM

I have some thumbnails of the Lexington on page 3 of the ships & watercraft forum. It is a GPM model which I guess is why the formers are called out as 2mm. The deck pieces in my kit were very well done and come out looking OK, very uniform and the wood deck planking looking right. I am not very proud of the underwater covering job but it is my first effort and it was at least fun and a learning experience.
Jim
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Looks great! Nice work!
Google Adsense