PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 05-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The first truck

Hello, and thank you for your responses. Yes indeed, a hole puncher that's the word!

It's been a while as I had to gather the minutes to work on the model in the past two weeks. Corona confinement means working from home and it seems like the working days have only gotten much longer ever since. People are longing for relaxation of the lockdown, that's for sure, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can go back to the office.

Anyway, the first truck is finished, with the exception of the wheels, they haven't been glued yet to the axles. I wait with that until there's rails.

No big issues but I had to alter the brake hydraulic parts here and there for proper alignment of the transmission rods. Also, I included a reinforcement with 1mm thick cardboard on the inside of the truck to support the swivel on which eventually the sleeper will rest. Although it looks differently, I did the same for the F7A trucks.

Compared to the F7A/B trucks, it seems that the braking shoes are missing. According to the designer most of the sleepers were equipped with braking discs, which will not be visible in the model as they're hidden behind the wheels.
Braking shoes will be visible and let's see if these could be included as an option in the model as I have seen quite a few pictures of trucks which were equipped with braking shoes. Reference is made to attached pictures. Somehow I would prefer to include the brakes, as it looks more complete and also would be uniform with the F7A (and B). To be continued and feel free to comment!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1773.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1774.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1775.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1798.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1799.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1800.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1801.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1802.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1803.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Truck detail.pdf (241.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-01-2020, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hello, and thank you for your responses. Yes indeed, a hole puncher that's the word!

It's been a while as I had to gather the minutes to work on the model in the past two weeks. Corona confinement means working from home and it seems like the working days have only gotten much longer ever since. People are longing for relaxation of the lockdown, that's for sure, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can go back to the office.

Anyway, the first truck is finished, with the exception of the wheels, they haven't been glued yet to the axles. I wait with that until there's rails.

No big issues but I had to alter the brake hydraulic parts here and there for proper alignment of the transmission rods. Also, I included a reinforcement with 1mm thick cardboard on the inside of the truck to support the swivel on which eventually the sleeper will rest. Although it looks differently, I did the same for the F7A trucks.

Compared to the F7A/B trucks, it seems that the braking shoes are missing. According to the designer most of the sleepers were equipped with braking discs, which will not be visible in the model as they're hidden behind the wheels.
Braking shoes will be visible and let's see if these could be included as an option in the model as I have seen quite a few pictures of trucks which were equipped with braking shoes. Reference is made to attached pictures. Somehow I would prefer to include the brakes, as it looks more complete and also would be uniform with the F7A (and B). To be continued and feel free to comment!

Erik
Welcome to the wonderful world of passenger car minutiae!

You're both right, and both incorrect.

If you look at the photos I linked to in the F7 thread (here), all of them have disc brakes. No brake shoes.

However, the Model Railroader drawings that you are working from, as well as the pictures you show, most definitely show trucks with brake shoes.

The trucks you are building appear to be closer to the earlier design, so I would recommend adding the brake shoes.

GSC 41-CS-11 Lightweight Passenger Trucks

and

41-CDO Passenger Trucks

Apparentlt this series of sleepers was delivered with the earlier style of trucks (with brake shoes) and at some point had them changed out to the later style (disc brakes).
Old 05-03-2020, 06:27 AM

Thanks a lot Glenn, this is very useful information, allowing one to learn something about the subject too. I will proceed with the braking shoes, which also matches the model's design of the trucks and in the meantime the designer has sent the braking shoe parts. To be continued!

Regards,
Erik
Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Beautiful work as always Erik. There is an amazing amount of detailing on the trucks. I have to say that they looks great.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 AM

The second truck step by step

Thank you Gary, there is indeed quite a bit of detail to the trucks, and there's more to come.

Continued with the second truck and this time I intend to take more pictures of the building process.

The first parts of the truck comprise the main frame. I slightly enhanced the level of details by doubling the areas around the axle boxes and central springs (to create depth and relief), cut away unnecessary black areas and inserted a rectangular box at the bottom to reinforce the central part where the swivel connection to the coach itself will be mounted. The inside of the box consists of 1mm thick cardboard.
Perhaps not required but half of the weight of the sleeper body will be resting on it and I guess it will certainly contribute to the overall stability of the model.

And then the weekend was over already .

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1806.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1807.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1808.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1810.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2020, 07:26 AM

The build continues with adding suspension details (I'm not so sure what the balancing bars are called) and finally the wheels. Again, the wheels have not been glued yet to the axles, this will come later when outlining with the rails.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1817.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1819.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1820.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1822.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1823.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1826.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1827.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1829.jpg  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Hi Erik,
As usual I follow your build with great interest (and admiration), but what bothers me are the printed springs in this trucks. Is there no possibility to make real springs?
Ab
Old 05-09-2020, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Erik (and others who may be interested) -

To provide some assistance with nomenclature, I'm posting a diagram of a 4-wheel passenger truck from earlier in the 20th Century (I think it came from a 1920's-era publication) that I've labelled the major parts on. While it's a lot older than the one you're modelling, the basic structure of a railroad passenger truck didn't change that much over the years, so this should still apply. The main structural differences between this one and the one you're modelling are the type of bearing (friction on this one, roller bearing on the one being modelled) and the change from centrally-located brake beams (on this one) to putting them on the ends of the truck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0frbr7vb18...er%20truck.png

Joshua
Old 05-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Thank you Ab and Joshua.

Ab, indeed, real springs would look nicer and could easily be made from those small springs one can find in (empty) ballpoints but as this a test-build for a model yet to be published I will stick to the original parts as much as possible. Also, and this should not be underestimated, the paper springs as designed form an integral part of the main body and contribute to its stability.

Joshua, thank you for clarifying the names of the various parts that make up a truck. I will do my best to use them ,

The build continues with the various components of the braking system, on either side of the truck. The parts are small and as mentioned before, I had to make minor modifications to get them aligned properly. Have a look at the real thing for a comparison. Finally the bolster and journal boxes (I would have referred to them as swivel and axle caps but now I know better).

Next would be adding the braking shoes but I'm taking a short break from the trucks and will continue with the interior first, at least for some time. Can't hold my curiosity any longer and as work is extremely busy at the moment I need to do something less fiddly to ease the mind, and something that gives the impression there's progress achieved.

In the mean time the trucks have been parked at the F7A.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1829.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1830.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1831.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1832.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1838.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1839.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1837.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e1795.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1853.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1854.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1855.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1856.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1857.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-bogie_2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
One comment: Since you are going to have the clasp-style brakes on this model, the representation of the disc brake rotor in the overhead view should be removed.

Having said that, this is a very good-looking representation of a complex design. Looking forward to more!

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper