PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Villa Familie-Journal sizes

Here is a pic showing one of the Familie-Journal models called a Villa. The large page is printed at the original size as indicated by the download link.
Can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/esbenr/albums
on the Familiejournalen 1922 papirark page.

The small page is printed on A4 size.
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
What a fascinating link, Doug.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very interesting...
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 202.82 MB
Whenever I've printed out one of these vintage models they come out drab. Most of the pictures I've seen here are crisp and look almost as though they were done yesterday. I've adjusted for brightness, contrast, highlights, and so on, but the model still prints without the sparkle that I see here. Perhaps it is my printer or the cardstock I am using. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford46 View Post
Any ideas?
It could be that there is nothing at all at fault on your side! If you ca print anything else and there are no issues with that, it is certainly not your printer.

Most people who make the "Antique" models generally run them through a graphics/photo editor to be clean them up, brighten the colours and also sharpen them.

If you have no way to do that here's an offer. Send me a PM with your e-mail. I will then mail you with details of a shared drive - you can put the model in there and I will give it a clean-up, and you can then try printing again and see how it comes out!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yeah, Kevin is correct about the clean up. I remove the yellow-brown color cast using manual color correction. It can take a few times until the color cast is removed. I strive to get a white background without degrading the graphics.

I then adjust the color balance, the contrast, and the saturation until I get something that I like. I do not know if it turns out like the original as it was published in the early 20th century. I just play around with the settings until it looks good to me. It used to take me a while, but like Vermin King mentioned in a post I can now usually get it done in just a few mintues.

Paint Shop Pro is used most of the time, sometimes PhotoShop.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Quote:
Whenever I've printed out one of these vintage models they come out drab. Most of the pictures I've seen here are crisp and look almost as though they were done yesterday. I've adjusted for brightness, contrast, highlights, and so on, but the model still prints without the sparkle that I see here. Perhaps it is my printer or the cardstock I am using. Any ideas?
It could be. If you're using an ink jet printer on uncoated stock, the paper will absorb the ink and flatten the colors. Is that your situation?
Old 10-17-2020, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
If increasing the saturation does not work, it might be that your printer has a very limited colour space. Cardstock isn't normally the issue here, the ink is the prime suspect. I use pigment inkjet, beautiful and durable colours, but maintenance cost is very high.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 202.82 MB
Many thanks for the replies, especially Kevin WS for his offer, but I suspect it is the ink and cardstock after all. I do a fair amount of clean-up using the tools on my Mac and I'm generally pleased with the results. It could be that my expectations for a vintage model should not be the same as for a modern printed card model. I do appreciate seeing the superb work on this thread.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I suspect that you just need to play with settings on your available tools to compensate for the ink and cardstock. So many of my vintage pieces are printed on both sides of the paper. Once I think I have things 'right' I print it out. If it needs further adjusting, I print it out again on the other side.

What I am saying is that it sometimes is a case of trial and error
Google Adsense