PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Geebee R1 1/33

Ok - so after muddling around with some other builds, I realized that I really want to build planes. I have the most experience with them and have always felt they were the coolest models. So, in order to get back to speed, I printed out the free GeeBee R1 from Gremirmodels.com. At this point I'd like to thank Gremir Models and the designer for allowing this model to be a free download. I'm having great fun building it.
Now - there are numerous build threads out there on this model, and I'm certainly not going to add anything to those builds - so this won't be a full build thread. I did want to post up some pic's of the cockpit, since it gets closed up pretty tight and won't really be seen once it's installed in the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Geebee R1 1/33-geebee-cockpit-1.jpg   Geebee R1 1/33-geebee-cockpit-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 AM

Neat start - This has been on my 'to do' list for a while (and will prpbably stay there for another while.... too many models, not enough time :( )
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
...At this point I'd like to thank Gremir Models and the designer for allowing this model to be a free download. I'm having great fun building it.....
You are most welcome.
All credit should go to the designer, Rafal Ciesielski - I only provided a bit of server space for this little gem
Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Aviation Moderator

Well, ran into my first issue with this build yesterday. It was my own fault - in my haste to get started I laminated the formers too thick (about 1.5mm). Where I ran into troubles was assembling fuselage part #4. Specifically one of the rigging holes was over the former. In order to get around this, I used a straight pin and bored into the former. I then took my black thread, soaked the tip in glue and forced it into the former on both sides, gluing it into place. I think I have them sturdy enough - but I may drop a bit more glue in the hole to be sure. I cut them pretty long to be sure I can string them the rest of the way around. Sorry - no pic's, was tired and was just doing the one part before I went to bed (that's always when you run into problems, isn't it ). Now I'll have a fuselage with long strings of thread hanging out. Since the one set ended up this way, I may go ahead and start the other rigging now while that piece is separate and it's easier.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 AM

Ouch! Thick formers may also give you problems when installing the cockpit. It is a snug fit to start with and was difficult for me because of my slightly overthick formers ahead and behind the cockpit.
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Aviation Moderator

I'm hoping it won't be an issue. My plan is to glue the cockpit to the back former, cut out that section (6?), wrap the former with the joining strip , and then position the front former on the cockpit based on the front of the cockpit section. Then when that former is glued, wrap section 6, then I'll be able to wrap section 5 and then join this whole assembly with the front section. The reasons why I think this will work is 1) I can fudge the instrument section of that former since it gets cut off and 2)I'll base the position of that former off the length of the section that's wrapping it.
If I can't make it work, I may get out a single edge razor blade and shave thickness from the formers - but I'm going to dry fit everything and see if I can make it work.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 AM

The procedure you describe should work. I wasn't that clever and botched my first fuselage. I have to look for that unfinished second attempt and complete it some day.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Aviation Moderator

Update - fuselage complete. Not near perfect, but it'll do

Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Nice, Dan! Looks much better than the FG Gee Bee I did years ago! Looking forward to the progress!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
That's a beautiful looking plane! Keep posting the details, please!
Google Adsense