PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
That is one fine carriage, I am looking for the fringe on top, or Roy Rogers to stop the runaway horses , oops, no horses. A fine, fine example (both builds) of the fine art of coach/carriage making.
  1. Coach-Makers' Illustrated Hand-Book, 1875: Containing Complete Instructions in All the Different Braches of Carriage Building
  2. Practical Carriage Building
  3. Wheelmaking: Wooden Wheel Design and Construction
  4. American Carriages, Sleighs, Sulkies and Carts
  5. Horse-Drawn Carriage Catalog, 1909 (Dover Pictorial Archives)
  6. Carriages and Sleighs: 228 Illustrations from the 1862 Lawrence, Bradley & Pardee Catalog
  7. Horse-Drawn Commercial Vehicles : 255 Illustrations of Nineteenth-Century Stagecoaches, Delivery Wagons, Fire Engines, etc.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The buggy

I was looking for more reference on the Amish buggy and came across that this buggy is also known as an Amish Buggy but without the top and is also called a Mennonite courting buggy with semi covered canopy sides.

Here is the making of the upholstery. I used the seat template as a guide for the outline. I love this material, it does not fray at the edges and does not rip when making the dimples. It has the feel of spandex. I got it from one of those small soft pillows that has vibrating neck massager inside.

Coming up next will be the wheel lock hubs and the horse hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-062.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-063.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-064.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-065.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-066.jpg  

Horse drawn Buggy-067.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-068.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-069.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Eternal Member

the buggy

More on the build, it is almost finished. Rolled a strip and angled it so that it had a protrusion in it

This is the area where I exclaimed, "Dam, I made a boo-boo" The wheels should have been further apart. It does not allow for a proper turning radius. The wheels scrape and touch the foot pegs. This coach is not a viable buggy but I learned that the next one must have extended axles for it to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-070.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-071.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-072.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-073.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-074.jpg  

Old 08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Eternal Member

the buggy

There is no way that I am going to trash this build. The problem is a small one and I will rectify that sometime later. The box is set on the supports and is not glued on. It fits tightly and it will be easy to extend the axles later with an extension of a piece of tubing, about 1/2 inch (1.5mm) on each side.

The making of the hitch is laminated 4X. When the glue set, I rounded the edges with my dremel. The crossbeams are placed but the rear one will be eliminated later. It hampers the turning of the fifth wheel. Checking the placement of the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-075.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-076.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-077.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-078.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-079.jpg  

Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Eternal Member

the buggy

More on the hitch. Made some hinges from some paper binder clips. the metal is thin and is easy to drill. I used a curved scissor to round of the edges. There are some bad fits in the hitch but it will work out. I am finalizing the last pics with some corrections to the hitch and to the width of the axles. This build is for all purposes just about over. The next posting should be the last for this build. See you next posting
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-080.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-090.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-091.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-092.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-093.jpg  

Horse drawn Buggy-094.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-095.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-096.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-097.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Eternal Member

The buggy

Coming to the end of the build.... again. There are a few follow up pics but the buggy is done. Like the stage coach, I will update with a few details down the road. I hope that you have all enjoyed the build as well as I did in making it. See you on the next build of the buckboard coming next.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-098.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-099.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-101.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-102.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-103.jpg  

Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another splendid build! Beautiful! :-)
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Another splendid build! Beautiful! :-)

Thanks for the compliment. There are still a few more to go, and only on papermodelers.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
This is a very pretty little project silveroxide! Beautiful and being made of card makes it lightweight and fragile appearing as the real thing seems. Very cool!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
This is a very pretty little project silveroxide! Beautiful and being made of card makes it lightweight and fragile appearing as the real thing seems. Very cool!

You would be surprised as to how sturdy it is. I know that I was and pleasantly surprise at the finish.
Google Adsense