PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.45 MB
You are very talented.
Can't wait till your done and this design is released.
If not, I shall suffer, in agony, waiting for someone to accomplish the same!
It just doesn't get any better than this!
I'm flabbergasted! Really nice production!

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Russell
Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazyah View Post
You are very talented.
Can't wait till your done and this design is released.
If not, I shall suffer, in agony, waiting for someone to accomplish the same!
It just doesn't get any better than this!
I'm flabbergasted! Really nice production!

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Russell
This one will go to the downloads after the build. The plans are done but I have to add a few more details of which I have to do the build first to see how they would fit on the model. ie; the brakes have to align with the wheels. That means I have to measure the length of the brake board after the model is finished so that the brakes are not too far in or too far out of alignment.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Eternal Member

carriage

The initial plans are done, now to start the beta build. Right now they stand as a four pager. I may squeeze a few more details with the wheels page. There are certain parts that can be deleted from the plans, like the seats. You only need one set and then copy for the other set. With the seats, you can also turn this into a multiple carrier with three sets of seats. The wheels are for the larger rear and the smaller front. You can also reduce the size of the wheels for a lower clearance version. On the floor slats, duplicate them and sandwich between a plain piece of heavy cardstock.

you will also need wire like paper clips and flexible bailing wire from a hardware store. Or you can substitute long skinny dowels (like from a medical swab stick). Small doll house hinges or make your own from thin brass or make them out of paper.

These plans are ok but not accurate enough. You can copy them from the thread, or you can wait for the end of the thread to get the zip files. They will be modified as the build goes on.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-020.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-021.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-022.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-023.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-024.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-025.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-026.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These model designs are a singular contribution to the craft and to the historical preservation of the techniques of wagon, buggy, and coach making.

Don
Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Eternal Member

carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
These model designs are a singular contribution to the craft and to the historical preservation of the techniques of wagon, buggy, and coach making.

Don

Thanks Don. These models are in paper and cardstock but I intend to make them out of wood later. There are a myriad of wagons and when I tire from them, there are the early horseless carriages with the same design. Like the buggy with the paddle board steering instead of a steering wheel.
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Eternal Member

carriage

Well we are off to the build thread, starting off with the box/bed. The floor of the box is actually a laminated 3X. the bottom and top of the bed are single slats. the middle is a solid piece (The sandwich material).

The sides, tailgate and the dash have their trimmings attached. The sides and tail/dash are 2X laminations with another with the trimmings, which will give it depth and feel of a long board of wood of a 3X lamination.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-027.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-028.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-029.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-030.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-031.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-032.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-033.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-034.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-035.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-036.jpg  

Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Eternal Member

carriage

So on we go with the build. made the cross slat supports. The one to the rear is longer than the others to support the rear tail gate brace. This has a metal support made from a piece of a paper clip.

I placed a center support but in reality, I got rid of it later down the line.

In this phase I used paper hinges but I was not happy with them. later on in the build I got rid of them and made them out of thin brass metal.

The upper side seat support has an extension that goes inside of the box to support the seat support.

In the placement of the upper seat extension, I place a crossbeam support to avoid having the seat sag in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-037.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-038.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-039.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-040.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-041.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-042.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-043.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-044.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-045.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-046.jpg  

Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
When I go to museums and I see excellent models of history, I always admire and wonder who made them. They are always amazing models of the past or present. You have shown me how they are designed and made. Your models are a credit to the Paper-modeling art! Thanks. I am now going to watch the John Ford movie "Stagecoach!" His art in movie making is also a credit to the art of movie making.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Eternal Member

carriage

Well Padre, remember that when John Ford made most of his western to include Stagecoach, There were real actual working stage coaches back then.

Here I discarded the paper hinges for the brass metal hinges. They are made from the ends of brass paper fasteners and pieces of paper clips. There is a bent in the pin so as to be able to remove the tailgate if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-047.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-048.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-049.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-050.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-051.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-052.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-053.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-054.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
ingeniously simple little hinges! I appreciate the time you took to make those detailed accounts of your design process. And it was wonderful to see you using old-school tools to do so!

I remember the days of laying out photostat artwork onto board with hot wax and hand ruling the crop marks and having to hand cut ruby-films on overlaid sheets of acetate.

Your wagon designs are a breath of fresh air in a hobby filled to overflowing with fighter planes and military armour. Not to knock those models, I like them and enjoy building them, but your models are unique and different.

David