PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
ingeniously simple little hinges! I appreciate the time you took to make those detailed accounts of your design process. And it was wonderful to see you using old-school tools to do so!

I remember the days of laying out photostat artwork onto board with hot wax and hand ruling the crop marks and having to hand cut ruby-films on overlaid sheets of acetate.

Your wagon designs are a breath of fresh air in a hobby filled to overflowing with fighter planes and military armour. Not to knock those models, I like them and enjoy building them, but your models are unique and different.

David
I see that you started in the copy/prep room, getting the boards ready for printing or for the the company artist. I got frustrated, I wanted to be the designer/artist not the matte cutter.:(

Well on with the show:

I gave the main box a base gray coat. Then I went length wise with the brush following the grain and painted a light tan wood color.

I increased the depth and color of the wood and I started on the seating arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-055.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-056.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-057.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-058.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-060.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-061.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-062.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-063.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-059.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

So far, this build is coming along nicely. Gave it the final color for the body using acrylic colors.

With paper clip wire, I made the dash board railing.

For the back supports I used a laminated slat instead of the wire. The laminated slats gave it better support.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-064.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-065.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-066.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-067.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-068.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-069.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-070.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-071.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-072.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-073.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-074.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-075.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
It can be done, I have a few photos but can work on it. There are ladder wagons, the pumper, Hose wagons and a few more but I have to check out more pics.
My mom and dad have summer shoot outs at 1880 town in South Dakota. At the period firehouse there they have at least on (possibly 2) restored pump wagons from the 1880-1890s periods. I bet she would get you all the pictures you could want along with basic measurements. Just PM me if you want me to ask her.
CT
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Finishing up on the box. Added the seat railings and painted the seats. The tail gate is movable.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-077.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-078.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-079.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-080.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-081.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-082.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT ERTZ),70294
My mom and dad have summer shoot outs at 1880 town in South Dakota. At the period firehouse there they have at least on (possibly 2) restored pump wagons from the 1880-1890s periods. I bet she would get you all the pictures you could want along with basic measurements. Just PM me if you want me to ask her.
CT
I thought I had responded but it did not show up. The answer is yes, Just a few pics. Straight profile shots (Left, Right, Front and Rear). A few good shots of the steering Fifth wheel axle. and rear axle.

I guess a top shot would be out of the question:D:D:D

in continuation of the build process. Constructed the base for the leaf spring attachment.

Laminated a beam from a laminate 6X. Then cut out the axle holder.

I used a dowel for the axles and glued them to the bottom. The clips go over the dowel and keeps it centered until the glue has set.

Then I used the chassis guide to center and place the axles in the correct position.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-083.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-084.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-085.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-086.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-087.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 08-26-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: add photos.
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Here is an update on the build.

Cut the wire for the chassis support and used the guide for placement.

Painted the chassis with the wood acrylic color.

Painted the metal fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-088.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-089.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-090.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-091.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-092.jpg  

Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
This is really beautiful work.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great thread - I have been wanting to build a stagecoach circa 1870's - 80's. Haven't found any drawings yet. Great work - My grandfather ran a Freight Wagon in the early 1900's here in Idaho, plan on doing that eventually.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
This is really beautiful work.
Thank you rmks:

The making of the main leaf spring suspension. I did not have my camera for this but I will do a tutorial on the leaf springs later. The rear suspension was done the same as in the buggy build.

The main leaf suspension was done by making a form for the leafs. There is no metal support in this. The lamination and the glue made it very sturdy and it actually works! it bends and bounces under gentle pressure.

The model is almost done just the details are left, like the brake system and a few small things. I will probably do a cushion but not as intricate as in the Stage Coach or in the Buggy. See you all next posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-093.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-094.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-095.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-096.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-097.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-098.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-06 View Post
Great thread - I have been wanting to build a stagecoach circa 1870's - 80's. Haven't found any drawings yet. Great work - My grandfather ran a Freight Wagon in the early 1900's here in Idaho, plan on doing that eventually.

Thanks for the kind words. I made the Stage coach from a lot of drawings and photographs, The majority of the photos were from the Franklin Mint. Their version had the two small windows next to the doors. The version was the smaller version, mine was the larger version but with the same chassis and outline. The plans are incomplete, due to that I made a lot of changes as I built it and did not transferred them to the plans, but I do have the main parts drawn.

This buckboard version is made from one single picture and it is really coming out pretty good. The photos are good but it looks better in real time.

There is just a little bit more to go. Enjoy the build
Google Adsense