PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The Carriage

Here is where she stands at the moment, Borrowed the wheels from the buggy and they seem about the right size.

Placed the chassis and axle unit on the box.

Comparison photo with the model.

It is not finished yet. Have to come up with the brake assembly and the wheels. These are from the Buggy model.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-099.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-100.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-101.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-102.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-103.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-104.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Terrific engineering and construction work ... as we have come to expect from you.

For the finish you achieved a nice wood effect!

I hope you are not becoming weary of carriage technology. The stage coach, doctor's buggy and buckboard are so beautiful, I would love to see many more - there is such a staggering variety of potential subjects (personal hopes: a handsome enclosed brougham, a sleek open victoria or barouche).

It looks like you are developing a set of basic designs and techniques. Once something like a wheel jig or spring design are perfected, they become "standards" for the next models. Hopefully this will allow you to produce succeeding designs more quickly and easily.

A series of high quality models, based on standardized components and techniques, leads naturally to commercial prospects ... which I hope you are also considering.

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful work with us!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Really enjoying your series of models. I came up 'old school' also in drafting and graphics. I have some plans for horse drawn fire equipment from Phil de Costa if you might be interested. He did a lot of San Francisco FD as they were changing over. A lot of the earlier motorized fire apparatus were actually horse drawn that were adapted over to a Christie front drive setup or a fifth wheel to replace the tongue and singletree hook ups for the horses. LA County had some hose bodies that due to WW2 actually lasted into the 40's with being mounted on newer chassises.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Absolutely stunning.

These would work well commercially as ornaments let alone serious models. I think these would have broad commercial appeal.

I agree that the timber look is a great success.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hello,
I am impressed by the originality of your work.
Really cute!

Orazio
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Thanks guys for the kind comments. You all are not the only ones thinking of selling commercially, My neighbors, daughter and friends also say the same thing. This buckboard is almost ready for the final outcome. There are a few more items before it is finished and the end is almost near. I have the Conestoga next on my list before I tackle the more intricate Victorian European carriages. The more I build, the more I learn. This has also been a learning experience for me.

So now on for some more pics.

Made some spacers to extend the axles out.

Constructed the outside hubs

Started on the brake mechanism using soft wire and flattening the ends for the brake pads.

Placements of the brake mechanism and side steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-105.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-106.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-107.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-108.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-109.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-110.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
This is such pretty work, nice job silveroxide! We are learning from you as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Outstanding, museum quality work, silveroxide! Your attention to detail is truly a delight to behold.

If I may, an interesting subject you might want to model later on:

The Gurney steam carriage predated both photography and the telegraph...

More details including schematics here: Google Image Result for http://www.hevac-heritage.org/victorian_engineers/sir_goldsworthy_gurney/steam_carriage_colour.jpg

Thanks.

Terry

Last edited by Paperbeam; 08-30-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks birder: I am getting my info/reference together now for my next attempt, The Conestoga Wagon. I am trying to get different techniques together. Each one of my builds has had a different design and suspension system. I am working on my dexterity for when I get to those elaborated coaches.

Paperbeam: Thanks for the pics. Downloaded them and made a google search on early steam engines. Did not find too much on the Gurney but enough to start making one in the future.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Eternal Member

The Carriage

Well it just about the end of the road. Small stuff left to do. This can be a one horse or a double team carriage. Working on the hitches. Next on the list THE CONESTOGA
Attached Thumbnails
Another Horse Carriage-111.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-112.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-113.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-114.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-115.jpg  

Another Horse Carriage-116.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-117.jpg   Another Horse Carriage-118.jpg  
Google Adsense