PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Silveroxide

You are the man. I can’t build them as fast as you design them.

I plan to build the stagecoach for my daughter she is a graduate of Wells collage in Aurora New York. The collage was started by Henry Wells and the School has several original Wells Fargo stagecoaches that are used to transport the students and parents to the graduation ceremonies. That my friends is beyond a doubt is the most expensive ride I have ever had.

Jim Nunn
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
Silveroxide

You are the man. I can’t build them as fast as you design them.

I plan to build the stagecoach for my daughter she is a graduate of Wells collage in Aurora New York. The collage was started by Henry Wells and the School has several original Wells Fargo stagecoaches that are used to transport the students and parents to the graduation ceremonies. That my friends is beyond a doubt is the most expensive ride I have ever had.

Jim Nunn
I used the Franklin Mint stage coach model as a reference. They have over 20 pics of the coach and very detailed. I changed the body to the four window version without the lights. The bottom chassis was my main concern. If you make it, you will find that the paper suspension belts are quite sturdy when laminated with a generous amount of glue to hold them together. If you make it out of bass or balsa wood the belts can be utilized for that build also. Refer to my build thread on this build sequence.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
I but I have to design a wire frame for the legs so as to hold the weight.
No, you don't. If you are going to make a mold, you can make one for paper mache' like Celuclay and fit brass rods in the interior to carry the weight of the legs. If you want help on this, I have mucho experience, both in the mold making and the internal stiffening part, too.

You can do this on the cheap with plaster of paris or wood epoxy.

Let me know.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Eternal Member

DAVENPORT:Send me a quick overview. I can do two mold castings but the horse is a four or three mold cast. If I make the mold out of plaster, it will have a short life span. Rubber silicon mold for this size will be expensive for the compounds and the resin or castolite material would be just as well. There is a wood putty powder mix that is good for casting but I have never tried it with a plaster since it will adhere to the porous material, but it works well with latex molds.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
I will check my references, but I believe that the Conestoga was more an East of the Mississippi pioneer transport, Western migration using more of the Prairie Schooner design. The slight curve to the bottom of the bed, and the high ends, helped to keep cargo more centered while traipsing up and down Appalachian mountains. The Prairie Schooner was also a bit shorter and lighter, built for longer distances.

Deadly Tedly
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyTedly View Post
I will check my references, but I believe that the Conestoga was more an East of the Mississippi pioneer transport, Western migration using more of the Prairie Schooner design. The slight curve to the bottom of the bed, and the high ends, helped to keep cargo more centered while traipsing up and down Appalachian mountains. The Prairie Schooner was also a bit shorter and lighter, built for longer distances.

Deadly Tedly

Yes you are correct in the fact that he majority of the migration west was done in the smaller prairie schooner with the compounded bow in the bed compartment. There were sprinklings of the Conestogas in these migrations also.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
DAVENPORT:Send me a quick overview. I can do two mold castings but the horse is a four or three mold cast. If I make the mold out of plaster, it will have a short life span. Rubber silicon mold for this size will be expensive for the compounds and the resin or castolite material would be just as well. There is a wood putty powder mix that is good for casting but I have never tried it with a plaster since it will adhere to the porous material, but it works well with latex molds.
My thought was to mold the animal in separate pieces so that you are working with several two-mold sections. I like the wood putty reinforced with mesh-type drywall tape for strength. For reuse, I seal the mold side with polyurethane lacquer.

With paper mache, you should get a virtually unlimited number of pulls from the mold.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Eternal Member

I never used poly-lac on a plaster mold but it sounds good since it seals the porous material, and speeds the mold making since it does not have to wait to dry. I just air blow dry it with my compressor and it is ready for another mix. Another technique learned, thanks C.D.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
Coaches, Buggies, & now Wagons, Oh, My!

Silveroxide, I have now found & followed all three of your completed horse-drawn vehicles, and I find them truly amazing. I was an illustrator in 4th Psyop Gp (A) from 86-97, now retired, and appreciate your design work with paper, pencil & straightedge. Tip: Brass tubing comes in many sizes, and makes excellent punch for perfectly round holes or circular pieces. Cut to 2-3" long, file or hone inside edge of one end, file outside edge of other and you have two diameters, varying by thickness of metal. Use piece of scrap board on top, and a couple of taps with a hammer and you have your cut! Many model tool catalogs sell brass tubing in telescoping bundles, and the brass is easy to re-sharpen as needed.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

I have a few more on the burner, I am just taking a breather from the carriages and doing a surprise build in the Aviation side of the house. The Conestoga is ready for slicing and dicing and I will start posting it soon.

4th Psyops? I had to deploy or they had to deploy with me on some occasions. My last unit was the 96th CA with south and central America as my area of operations. I visited your graphics department for leaflet request for the Contra Operations before demob.

I have an assortment of hole punches from .05 to 1/2 inch size. Anything bigger than 1/2" I use my round nose scissors.
Google Adsense