PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
The amazing skills that a paper modeler and designer must have..............Sewing and by hand even!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

Thanks for the comments guys. This project is almost finished. I will have to place it aside for a while until I get the final touches done. Not only for this build, but for the other carriages as well. They all need the hubs finished and a few small items to add to each one of them.

I broke out my jewelry pliers and made the eyelets for the rope tie downs. I drilled holes at each hoop slat and inserted the eyelets into them.

The fun part was tyeing down each rope. Again, special tools were used. I used my medical clamps to hold and tie each knot.

At the front canvas , I pulled on the wrong rope and it recessed in to far to grab. I assumed that this probably happened to the pioneers, so I cut a slit and pulled the rope through and tied it down.

So let's see. I need provisions, oxen, Shanghai rooster and a hen, no... a bunch of hens (covey). a hog and an old yellow dog.

I was looking for the harness for the oxen and it seems that they were held in their place with the Yoke, which was attached to the Tongue (Hitching pole). If it was pulled by horses or mules, then they would have a harness set-up. So for simplicity, it is easier to have it pulled by oxen, and easier to hitch. this wagon would probably use a horse team. since it has a bench up front. The oxen pulled wagon had the team controlled by the driver on the outside walking along the side of the wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-172.jpg   Conestoga-173.jpg   Conestoga-174.jpg   Conestoga-175.jpg   Conestoga-176.jpg  

Conestoga-177.jpg   Conestoga-178.jpg   Conestoga-179.jpg   Conestoga-180.jpg   Conestoga-181.jpg  

Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Eternal Member

Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

Here are some final photos before I go to my next project. I will update this build as well as the other carriages later on.

I hope that you have all enjoyed the build as well As I did in designing and building it. I will take a breather from the carriages and return later to them. My other projects are jumping up and down screaming BUILD ME.... BUILD ME!:D:D:D:D

Strength and Honor
Silveroxide
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-184.jpg   Conestoga-185.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't want to nag but, those canopies are so blinding white, do you intend to dirty 'em up a bit? (I don't think bleach was in use back then) or is this a model of a modern restoration??? lol

Aside from that, beautiful work on this, I look forward to seeing more wagons of different types...if I may vote for Chuck (the wagon, not some guy).

Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Eternal Member

Hey Phil! Long time no hear from you, I hope you are doing well. Unfortunately the used shirt was already laundered and not yellowed from use. Don't be a stranger and hope to see you more often in the forums along with your little things and stuff. Thanks for the comments.
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful work once again!

Encore!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks for the comments Art Deco: Again, I am takinf a break from the horse drawn carriages. But I will be back again. I have too many models sitting on the sidelines and I need to take care of them too. See around in the forums.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Another superb build - where does he get those wonderful talents? I have enough trouble with big lines tying up the boat - never mind the microscopic work you've done. I humbly bow in your direction (but then, we all end up bowing toward Ft Bragg at some point).

Yogi
Old 10-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks yogi. I also like to build wooden ships, plank on plank method, where you would have to use medical clamps to grab and make knots trough the rigging and other protrusions. That also include sail making. Some of the methods of ship building are apparent in the making of the carriages, especially in the Stage Coach, and on the Conestoga/Covered Wagon.