PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
Funny that you wrote that. My grandmother was born in 1897 before she passed away in 2002
Although I'm only 41, my great-grandfather fought in the Civil War (18th Ohio). My grandmother was born in 1887 and lived to be 94. I was just a kid when she passed away, but I remember talking to her about how different the world was from the time she grew up. Being in a farming family meant she wasn't affected by technological advances as readily as some, and my Dad talked about how they were still farming with horses and wagons in the '30's.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
One thing about my late grandmother was that she said people like to remember the good old days but forget the really hard times. The saving grace was that the family unit was more solid then than today. That is what helped them through those bad times. I believe that she must have been a handful when young. She laughs at the old folks who can't believe at the way the young dress today and forget about those crazy time of the dappers in the 20's with their short dresses and tight fitting clothes. Times are a changing and is still the same.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Been following the build with great interest. For anyone interested in a little background on the wagon design: conestoga wagon, lancaster county pa., pennsylvania dutch I'd thought that Studebaker had originated the design, but found out that the original roots of the company date back to around 1790 in the Conestoga area of Pennsylvania were the design originated. They could be compared with Ford in that they didn't invent the design, but took it to a mass production stage. One of their promotional pieces from around 1870 claims to "turn out a wagon every 7 minutes". Back to you and more photos of your wonderful work.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Eternal Member

Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

Pahorace: Thanks for the comments, more to come.

Birder: You are welcome to the barrel technique. I made it fast but once it is set, gently sand the edges to make it a bit rounder before you place the bands around it. I did not do it this way on this build but it still came out okay.

Whulsey: I have been to that web site on my research. It seems all Conestogas were not the same. The style depended on where you bought it but they all had that trademark of a conestoga; The curved side rails and the overextended canvas top set-up.

Now on to the build...

Found a use for old CDs. they made good round templates. That last pic looks like a bunch of audio headsets. Well this is it for now, but there is more to come. Already planning on my next carriage, what will it be?
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-056.jpg   Conestoga-057.jpg   Conestoga-058.jpg   Conestoga-059.jpg   Conestoga-060.jpg  

Conestoga-061.jpg   Conestoga-062.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Eternal Member

on with more on the wagon. Started on the paint job but that is for another posting.

Did some crazy laminations to get that wood beam effect. Drilled holes on both side of the rear axle and inserted wooden dowels for the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-063.jpg   Conestoga-064.jpg   Conestoga-065.jpg   Conestoga-066.jpg   Conestoga-067.jpg  

Conestoga-068.jpg   Conestoga-069.jpg   Conestoga-070.jpg   Conestoga-071.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Did you blueprint this build or total scatch build?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Adama View Post
Did you blueprint this build or total scatch build?

Another scratch build from photos, and reference materials.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Eternal Member

In continuation with the Wagon: Painted the body with a basic coat of gray primer.

Painted the barrel with a wood grain color and the bands black and then painted gunmetal. Painted the side utility box and the inside a wood color.

The seat was also painted a wood color. A s mentioned earlier in the thread, this Conestoga will have the seating arrangement.

Next posting will be on the running gear chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-072.jpg   Conestoga-073.jpg   Conestoga-074.jpg   Conestoga-075.jpg   Conestoga-076.jpg  

Conestoga-077.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
You know, I look at this (even with all the detail) and think - "I could maybe build that." Then I see your paint work ...

Yogi (still looking under desk for lower jawbone)
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
You know, I look at this (even with all the detail) and think - "I could maybe build that." Then I see your paint work ...

Yogi (still looking under desk for lower jawbone)
Thanks Yogi, you are too kind with your praise. There is more to come and more painting and details.

On with the build: In the making of the fifth wheel, I did not look closely at the center pole or tongue. I extended the pole too far to the rear. I had to trim it off or the fifth wheel would not be able to work with the wheel stop.

In this version I did the front hitch attachment and removal point. (Last Pictures)

Next posting is on the making of the front wheel assembly jig.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-084.jpg   Conestoga-085.jpg   Conestoga-086.jpg   Conestoga-087.jpg   Conestoga-088.jpg  

Conestoga-089.jpg   Conestoga-090.jpg  
Google Adsense