PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.67 MB
Hmmmm, I attached the bottom of the fuse to the tail first and then started gluing forward, which seemed to work pretty well. I should also probably put something on the page about when and were to put a curve in the fuse, the bottom piece (the part with the tabs) isn't designed with a curve in mind. The sides are supposed to be radiused with a small round object, and then the bottom should just be used to connect the two sides. Although now you have me thinking of designing the rear part of the fuselage so it has the original intended curve. argh. It wouldn't be that hard to do.

Hehe, this probably doesn't make much sense, I'm pretty tired..
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
Nice work Silveroxide, where did you got the model?
The layout/artwork looks like FG, but I never saw it before..
It is a gift from Dav3xor. You can find it in the downloads as the pond racer.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

Now to work on the fuselage. Since I got rid of the pesky tabs, I have to glue those nose sections. I made small tabs and I glued them from the inside. When the sections were all done, I placed a generous amount of glue along the insides. When the glue was dry, I rounded the sharp edges as much as possible without rubbing a hole through the paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-019.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-020.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-021.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-022.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-023.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-024.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-025.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.67 MB
If Chip didn't insist on tabs, I wouldn't have used them.. I like connector strips myself.

Oh man, I see some impending redesign work coming on... hehe, I could at least change all the Comic Sans to something... not hideous.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

It is just a habit of mine. In the beginning I used those pesky tabs and they had a tendency to bunch up around the curves, do I eliminated them. I will double or tripple laminated around joints or use connector tabs, In this model I have used both the connector tabs and laminations.

On with the build:

I used a toothpick to give the front the round airfoil. I did not score the leading edge.

Using my compass I measured for the cockpit bulkhead.

On my circle maker I chose the closest circle for the bulkhead.

I then folded it in half and started to cut trim and measure until I was satisfied with the outline. I constantly kept dry fitting the template until I achieve my results.

Using the outline of the cabin, I traced the edge and made the side walls out of heavy cardstock. I glued and clamped it to the inside of the cabin.

While waiting for the glue to dry, I made the floor and bent a section down to give the depth of the floor.

Next posting, more on the cockpit details.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-026.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-027.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-028.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-029.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-030.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-031.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-032.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-033.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-034.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-035.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-036.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-037.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-038.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-039.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-040.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Interesting leading edge - I'd though about just rounding with a dowel for non-sharp leading edges, but didn't think about leaving the round-thing in place. Keeps the profile and keeps it straight/strong.

Beautiful build - I'm also getting serious tool lust from your last post (so clean, so many fiddly bits, so shiny!). Now I'll have to go order something from Garrett-Wade to settle down ...

Yogi
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Interesting leading edge - I'd though about just rounding with a dowel for non-sharp leading edges, but didn't think about leaving the round-thing in place. Keeps the profile and keeps it straight/strong.

Beautiful build - I'm also getting serious tool lust from your last post (so clean, so many fiddly bits, so shiny!). Now I'll have to go order something from Garrett-Wade to settle down ...

Yogi

I have not reach the nacelles yet but there I use my shiny socket sets and a myriad of other around the house stuff. I will be posting again shortly. I have a bunch of photos that I have to prep before I post them. But at this time I am finished with the engine nacelles and will be working on the props.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

Continuing the build. There are a few mismatched sections and other small stuff. Nothing big that I cannot work around. Here are a few more updates:

Had to redo the seat. Cut off the long legs so that there would be leg clearance.

The floor is set. Made side consoles Used foam panel for the seats. Cut the seat into sections and placed then on a seat form.

Not depicted but made the foot pedals and placed them inside

Made a center console and with a piece of paper clip wire, made the joy stick.

Constructed the instrument panel. Made the form and painted it black. Then I use my hole punches to make different size circles and place them on the instrument panel form. Cut other small pieces for square gages.

I believe the cockpit is all black but I already painted it gray. Made the instrument panel cover and painted it black. So this is all for now. See you next posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-041.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-042.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-043.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-044.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-045.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-046.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-047.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-048.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-049.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-050.jpg  

Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

More on the construction:

Started with the front of the engine nacelle. When I got to the last stage or the tail section. I found that it would have been easier to start from the rear. The tail section would have defined the shape of the rest of the nacelle to just behind the fuel panels. then I would have rounded them to the shape where this build starts.

I made the inside tabs and I used a socket the size of the front where the propeller is to be. Once I determined the size of the former/bulkhead. I used the socket to equalize the pressure of the bulkhead being pushed down to the edge of the front .

The second section I used the paint bottle cap to maintain the shape until the inside connector strips were set. I then pushed another round piece from the inside until it connected with the strip. Then I connected the forward two pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-051.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-052.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-053.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-054.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-055.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-056.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-057.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-058.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-059.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-060.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-061.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-062.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-064.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

More updates on the nacelles. The making of the bottom and top scoops.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-065.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-066.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-067.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-068.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-069.jpg  

Google Adsense