PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Pond Racer

More on the nacelles. Made the exhaust out of rubber tubing. Placed a thick wire inside and bent it into shape. Colored the tube a brass/copper color. The inside bulkhead is to keep the tubing from shifting forward. Made another bracket to keep the tubing in place.

When making the inside connectors, notched an area to clear the exhaust tubes. Put pressure on the inside connector with the cap end of my paint bottle. Still more to come on the nacelles.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-070.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-071.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-072.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-073.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-074.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-075.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-076.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-077.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-078.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

In continuation with the nacelles: I made some half formers to allow the wings to slide through.

The bottom former/bulkhead will also assist in holding steady the landing gear when I get to it.

I started to make the rectangular shape for the rest of the nacelles.

I am embarrassed with my spelling, my graphics program does not have a spell checker and I am not taking my time to recheck my spelling, or my grammar.

The reason for taking about 1/4 inch off the former/bulkhead, is to allow for the connector strip later on. If it was flush with the edge, it would not fit well.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-079.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-080.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-081.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-082.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-083.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-084.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-085.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-086.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-087.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-088.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Good grammer is alway nice to have (snort, snort) - but the work you're doing here more than makes up for any glitches. Having finally written a (simple) build thread, I would like to personally thank you (harrumph, harrumph!) for the huge amount of additional work you've done documenting this thread (and, of course, the wagons and earlier threads).

Yogi
Old 09-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

Thank you Yogi for your comments. Words are knowledge, knowledge is power. Just look at Obama, If I had the ability to articulate my words like he can, I could sell sand to an Arab, Ice or snow to and Eskimo, bottle water to the French. Remember that Evian spelled backwards is Naive. I bet the French laughed all the way to the bank when the Americans thought they were cool, drinking bottle water like the French. :D:D:D But I digress.

Now to continue with the build.

Test fitted the wings through the slots.

Made the last sections of the engine nacelles. The left nacelle scoop is on the wrong side. To compensate for this i made three other scoops and placed them on both side of the nacelles. This makes it inaccurate but it looks good. and considering the overheating of the engines, maybe they should have had a few more air intakes.

Started on the Spinners. I have this hole puncher that works on the same principle as the old hand drill. It is made by Martha Stewart Inc for her line of handi-crafts, and it comes with three different size hole attachment that stow in the handle.

For cutting out circles more than 1/2 inch, I use this curved tip scissors. Do not buy the cheap ones but the strong stainless steel which will last longer and not break at the swivel joint.

I used my circular protractor for the folding of the spinner tips. It helps to hold the tips while you glue them from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-089.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-090.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-091.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-092.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-093.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-094.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-095.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-096.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-097.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-098.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent thread. I actually purchased the Brooklyn Bridge once. I wuoldn't wrroy abuot teh grmmaer, msot poepel dont' evne notcie it!
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Excellent thread. I actually purchased the Brooklyn Bridge once. I wuoldn't wrroy abuot teh grmmaer, msot poepel dont' evne notcie it!

Was the Brooklyn bridge made of Paper? :D:D:D
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Pewter, it turned out.

p.s. I worked at an FBO in Danbury Ct. and a guy there had a long EZ. He painted the leading edge of the aircraft and when he tried to fly the plane would not get off the ground. He almost ran out of runway. It turns out he had a thick coat of paint and the laminar flow wing was separating the airflow at the trailing edge of the paint line. Laminar flow wings are great but can be finicky. I flew a Mooney once and did a practice stall. I got a little scared when it seemed the recovery was taking too long. It recovered, me too. Hi pucker factor.

Last edited by Zathros; 09-06-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.67 MB
The guy who runs a paint shop at our local airport is painting his Long-EZ with a scheme similar to Spaceship One's, pretty cool.

Stalls are always fun.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

I am almost finished with the Pond Racer. Diddled around with the landing gear and it came out alright. just a few details left and a trip to the hardware store to pick some light bulbs whose plastic wrap resembles most the canopy.

The making of the propellers and spinners:

Cut some strips from a cotton ear swab, and pressed as flat as I could one end of the paper stick.

Folded the two parts of the blade and inserted the flat en into the blades and sandwiched it shut.

The main parts of the propellers and the spinners.

Placed the blade at 90 degrees to each other. and placed a lock cap on top of the center joints.

Trimmed out the channel for the blades on the spinner.

make sure the blades are angled at approx 45 degrees.

The matching set with the center rods.

and finally a test fit, will glue later after the landing gear is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-099.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-100.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-101.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-102.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-103.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-104.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-105.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-106.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-107.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-108.jpg  

Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Eternal Member

Pond Racer

On with more picture updates.

Test fitted the spinners/propellers. Started to work on the tail fins and the seat belt assembly. For the tail fins, I cut a small piece of a toothpick and placed a portion into the fin and the other into the tail. There is not much clearance for the extensions so they have to be cut a bit small. This is to keep the dihedral and strengthen the fins at this weak juncture.

The seat belt I made from excess foil material from my knife blades. It has a ribbed look to it and will conform to the shapes you place it in. The next posting will be on the landing gears.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Racer Build Thread-108.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-109.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-110.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-111.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-112.jpg  

Pond Racer Build Thread-113.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-114.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-115.jpg   Pond Racer Build Thread-116.jpg  
Google Adsense