PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Shoot Frank.............. if people are laughing over mis-typed words you sure don't have to worry about them............... I killed them all off by myself years ago!:o

No way would I have been an actor trying out for a bit part on Star Trek.................they always get killed off!

I wonder if they all get residuals............:D

john

My Drawings
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't like oil and I'm keeping well away from blenders

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 08-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
The language barriere can sometimes be funny
Here in Norway we say öl for beer, and in german öl means oil.....and a common name in Norway is Svein,and in german that means "dirty pig".
So it can be a problem sitting in a german bar ordering öl and present yourselves as Svein......
That doesn't only happen between languages but also between dialects of English. For example, the expression for supporting a sports team in North American is "rooting for the home team". In Australia "rooting" refers to an activity between consenting adults. An American in Oz who uses this term usually gets very strange looks.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelle View Post
@Phil and Carl: I think both of you trapped in a serious mistake from the internet - you cannot show emotions only by writing! MOST of the struggles in every forum can be judged for this reason. (Not to mention, that for a non-english-person it is much more difficult to find the right words, you can not imagine the huge difference between the english you learn at school and the english you have to use in real...)
So: for peace I drink a bear in the name of both of you! :D

Naw, Phil and I know what's the deal. We have trust, as do you. I'm just being extra careful that folks know that anything that sounds bad is a pure accident. I know that Phil is a little sensitive right now and I'm on his side. If I'm going to bite someone it really won't be subtle!

On that "drink a bear" thing, wait until I use my German on you! I worked in Germany off and on for about 6 years and attempted to learn some of the language. I can usually order my meal and a beer but not without strange looks. Good for ya to hang in with us Colonials over here. Take care.

Carl
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM

I am an English Major. I was a proofreader for several years. Perfection was my aim with words back then. I love words and I play with them all the time.
I did not mean to criticize Frank's typing, just having fun with words.

I am a new person here. I do not wish to engage in controversy. I have only friends here. No hard feelings were taken nor given. I fully support you all and wish you all the very best.

GROUP HUG!!!

Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 PM

I'm with Carl. The Army taught me German 20 years ago. If I were to try and use it now, I would expect you to be able to point and laugh at me for hours...

Heck, I'm alledgedly a native english speaker, and I still get it wrong.

It's all just intended to be in good fun. Just a little joking among friends....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I am an English Major. I was a proofreader for several years. Perfection was my aim with words back then. I love words and I play with them all the time.
I did not mean to criticize Frank's typing, just having fun with words.

I am a new person here. I do not wish to engage in controversy. I have only friends here. No hard feelings were taken nor given. I fully support you all and wish you all the very best.

GROUP HUG!!!
Hi Phil!
I KNOW you didn't want to criticize me, don't worry! I just took off the ball and threw it back in my own field, to show a little bit what I am really able to laugh at my self! I had read on other place your postings and reactions, and I am absolute in your side! Be sure: if we would knew us personaly, I would have found a BETTER way to show it.

But please... for an non-english-man: What means English MAJOR? For me a Major is an officer in the army. Is where another meaning?
I wanted to write it down with a PN, but I had not figured out, if and HOW it works here.
A good weekend everybody here! The weatherforecast for germany told me, that the summer will come now to use - a good possibility to build further on the Bismarck in the garden! (For the happy eyes of my neighbour, who build papermodels in former time but is not sure, if he wants to start again... )

Last edited by Frank Kelle; 08-03-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: ONE mistake was seen after posting ;-)
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelle View Post
But please... for an non-english-man: What means English MAJOR? For me a Major is an officer in the army. Is where another meaning?
As usual in English there are multiple meanings - 6 meanings as a noun and 9 as an adjective according to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/major.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Eternal Member

Frank

You should worry the US and GB are indeed two countries seperated by a common language Major in the UK is a rank and for example a "major accident" is an BIG accident but not a disaster. The US appears to Major in some subject but here I guess it's equivalent to an honours degree at university.

This is why I get told I write nursery English trying to avoid the pitfalls and still no one understands me.

But hey the sun is shining in England today wonder of wonders.

regards

barry
Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Yes, your 'major' in college (university) is the primary subject you study / focus in - the field you are expecting to get a job in. There are 'minor's' that you can also study to have lesser specialization in. For example my degree is in Chemical Engineering - so that was my major in college. I didn't have a minor specialization (except possibly the card game euchre - but that was unofficial :D ).
Personally I had 3 years of French and I didn't retain enough to begin to respond to anything in that language without pulling reference materials out - so I have the utmost respect for those who can write / speak in multiple languages. Although I did know that the 'bear' was a typo and not the intended word - I certainly wouldn't laugh at it, well not other than it's a funny thought to try and drink a bear