PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Blender vs inkscape

Please excuse my ignorance about the details of these programs. I probably need to learn one of them, as my Maker group laser cutter program is being transferred to these from Corel. I have only enough room in my brain to do one (and that is not for sure!) So, what would you recommend. I currently use Ashlar Graphite for 2D drawings, export to Auto Cad, then to Corel. Must be a better way.....
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Will the laser cutter program accept EPS files? If so you can export your vector drawing directly to the cutting program from Corel. I do this all the time with my vinyl plotter.

Mike
Old 07-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
Jim,
Blender is a 3D modeling program. Inkscape is a vector drawing program similar to CorelDraw.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Jim,
Blender is a 3D modeling program. Inkscape is a vector drawing program similar to CorelDraw.
Although especially intended for 3D animation, Blender is a very broad application; for instance, it includes audio/video compositing and, until 2.80, its own game engine.
But you're right, with Blender think 3D, with Inkscape think 2D. Both areas are of interest to the maker community. E.g., Blender for 3D printing and unwrapping and Inkscape for laser cutters (there's support via plugins).
Old 07-07-2020, 02:33 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
And for us Cartographers, Blender can be used to create 3D terrain models
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 106.29 MB
Blender also has a paper model unfolding plug-in available, although one sometimes wonders about it's choice of seams.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
So it should be clear that Blender and Inkscape don't compete against each other. In fact, for some workflows they can be complementary. For instance, a paper modeler could use Blender to design parts in 3D and UV map them, then, via a plug-in, unfold into a vector file. Now Inkscape can enhance texturing, adjust graphic attributes like edge color and thickness, rearrange polygons, improve tab size and placement, join parts on a page and optimize their placement, and finally generate a PDF or a cutting template.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2084 View Post
Blender also has a paper model unfolding plug-in available, although one sometimes wonders about it's choice of seams.
The trick there is to create simpler sub-objects out of a complex object and then define the seams yourself.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Inkscape has the tools to output gcode files. In fact there is a Laser Tools extension just for exporting to laser cutters.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I thank all who have made contributions to this discussion. I had originally thought that they were competing programs, so that is most helpful. I contacted a Maker Works friend (our work place is still closed due to COVD19) and he says that most plan to use Inkscape. I'm thinking I would like to try the 3D way. Ashlar Graphite is a great 2D program, and I can export to almost any format, but has very limited graphic ability. I guess nothing is easy. I will give a report one of these days on my choice and how that is working out. Thanks again for the input.
Jim
Google Adsense