PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

View Poll Results: What software do you use to recolor/texture a model?
PhotoShop 45 32.14%
Coreldraw 13 9.29%
Gimp 17 12.14%
MSPaint 14 10.00%
Inkscape 14 10.00%
Paint Shop Pro 22 15.71%
Other (specify) 15 10.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Repainters/designers - what software do you use to texturize or recolor?

Hello all!
I am looking at learning to repaint. I want to know what app(s) you use for only the texture part of the process! I dont plan on getting into design until I have much more time than I have now.

Please only answer the poll if you actually use the application, not based on what you have heard. I also want to know the main pluses and minuses to using that app (what you like and dont like) If you use it to repaint you will hopefully know the pain points

I am putting the bigger ones here but as I have not really looked at this area much I prolly missed some dont get mad if i forgot your favorite!

If any of you have the iPad could that be used for repainting?

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Chris,
I use MS Paint. The B-17 is done with it....Ron
Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
I know I haven't finished anything lately, but several of the L-5s I did were done exclusively in Inkscape so they would be vector...
Have several back burner projects but am reasonably busy right now as a flight instructor.

Ryan
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have only done a very few repaints of some models to get a specific color scheme and to edit some text.
The programs I used were Paint Shop Pro 9 because I have been using Paint Shop Pro for a while and have a basic understanding of that interface (despite the fact that it kept getting changed around and stuff got hidden ), and Inkscape for the vector and (limited) pdf manipulation capability.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Design Admin

thanks guys! Updated the poll (changed ryans vote from other to inkscape) to include those
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I use paint.net. It's free and has lots of support groups on the web if you need answers on how to do something.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 126.00 MB
Send a message via MSN to n810 Send a message via Skype™ to n810
Photoshop for me, all the way. The newer versions of it even have 3d capabilities. Sadly the cost is an arm, a leg, your immortal soul and your first born child. If I hadn't gotten a copy through work a few years ago I'd probably be using Gimp.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
I havn't done a ton of repainting, but I use Photoshop exclusively for all my graphics and textures, paper or otherwise. Its expensive, but for a reason, its simply the best graphics suite out there, and has been for years. The Gimp comes close, and is probably the most powerful open source graphics software, but if you can afford it, you cant go wrong with Photoshop.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I use Paint Shop Pro 7.0. I tried newer versions but they changed the layout as been previously mentioned so I kept to what I know. This is the primary reason I use it - I know the interface and all the keyboard shortcuts inside and out so I can work with it more than twice as fast as with other programs.

I originally bought version 5.0 it because the feature set it came with was approximately 90% of what PhotoShop could do at approximately 10% the price. Actually, I really started using it back in version 3.14 where the 30-day trial wouldn't ever end, so it was like the first GIMP. :p

It has great raster capability (pixel-by-pixel editing), and limited vector capability, but cannot open SVG files.

For all-vector art, I've been trying to learn Inkscape. That's what I used to re-arrange parts on that P40 model for you, so that the resulting file was still in vector format. When I rescale parts for myself just to get to the printer next, I export into a raster format because it's quicker (for me).

My recommendation to you (do what I say not what I do) would be to start out with GIMP and Inkscape. These two programs are more in line with what the industry standards are and are of course free. If you find yourself needing more powerful tools, then move up to PhotoShop and Corel Illustrator. The interfaces will be similar and you will be able to apply your knowledge, rather than re-learn from scratch. PSP is great for those of us who went down the path the industry didn't, but we're stuck in our ways and they're different from everyone else.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Design Admin

thanks guys