PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
CAD Software?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new CAD-program. It should allow me to draw in 2D and 3D, doing all the basic stuff with parallels, perpendiculars etc. in an easy to use way, but also have functions for more complex 3D-Objects than the basic extrusions or rotations. I also need export functions to standard file formats as I want to try 3D-printing one day. What I don't need is a raytracing module or such, as renders could be made in Blender.

I'm student, so AutoCAD, Catia etc. are far above my price tolerance. The maximum would be between 100-200€.

I hope someone can point me to such a program.

Thanks,
Thorsten
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Thorsten, you might try one of the older versions of IMSI TurboCad or Punch ViaCad, both available from www.nothingbutsoftware.com. They have TurboCad v. 15 for $14.95 US, and the latest (v. 19) for $120; I've got an older version, and it is in line with your specifications. I haven't used ViaCad, but the product description looks promising. If you're interested in 3d modeling, you might check out Daz3D.com, which is offering their modeling and rendering programs (Hexagon and Bryce) as free downloads. I realize they are not really what you are looking for, as they are not CAD based, but the price is right.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Ebay has older versions of Turbo CAD for less than $20.

Of course there are other CAD programs from the ridiculously cheap to the outrageously expensive.

You can download free trials of Turbo CAD.
I am not sure how long the free trial lasts.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
This website has a link for a free download of TurboCAD Delux 12:

Download TurboCAD Deluxe 12 for free

If you like it, you can buy the newer version later.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Dang...and to think I paid actual money for that program. You can't argue with free.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.94 MB
Hi Thorsten,

you can get a student version of Rhino 3d V5 for about 200 €; nearly all professional card models are developed using Rhino.

Give it a try with the test version...

Bernhard
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hallo Thorsten

von Autodesk gibt es ein Programm "123D" wo lediglich eine Registrierung und on-line Verbindung erforderlich ist. Zu bedenken ist, und da wird mir mein Stammtischkollege Bernhard zustimmen, der imense Einarbeitungsaufwand. Blender waere auch noch eine Alternative ..
Gruss Klaus
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the answers!
I have now been pointed towards Rhino several times and really think about buying it. I already downloaded the trial version. A stupid question: Can this program also do the unfolding automatically, or must this be done by hand or another program?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Thorsten,

Right answer for your question is yes and now.
Yes, because Rhino can unfold all developable surfaces like cylinders, cons or simple plain surfaces.
No, because Rhino is not unfolding not developable surfaces like spheres. These surfaces you have to "transfer" to developable surfaces manually one by one and in next step unfold them. No, because Rhino is not unfolding whole model automatically in one step. You have to unfold part one by one.

Michal
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Michal,

thanks. I wouldn't expect Rhino to do the impossible (develop spheres etc.). I'm used to deviding the curvature into flat areas, so this principle won't be new to me.
As you say it can unfold cylinders, do you know how this is implemented? Is the cylinder transformed into a prism before doing this (resulting in the pepakura-like edges) or is it the real 2*R*PI-length?

Thorsten
Google Adsense