PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
No attacks

I am tired of this
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Elucidation...,

Hi Carl,

I agree with you that the Squish Command is one of the more valuable for paper model design [and anything else for that fact].

The following page at McNeel does a good job in the way of explanation. It should help to keep the peanut shells under control...,

labs:advancedflattening · McNeel Wiki

Best, Gil

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
The Squish command really is just for making putting texture or text on uneven surface easier, which I really like, better then Set CPlane To Object, sometime. But to Squish a 3D dome shape flat and then fold it back up again to looks like a dome, can't. I have to draw new lines on my own and cuts the flatten shape in order to fold it up to look somewhat like the original 3d surface. So, I went back to redesign the 3d surface to make it unroll friendly. If somebody can Squish and fold it back up, do show me step by step, cause I can't do it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
If somebody can Squish and fold it back up, do show me step by step, cause I can't do it.
I endorse goodduck's request.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hi Allen,

Squish isn't a be all and end all. It still cannot take large multiply curved surfaces and make them fit well.

For "domed" shapes, for instance the bell of a ship's ventilator, I split the part in half and then squish it. You will notice that the corners fray when you do this. This is why I mark them with points before squishing. When I have the half "dome" laid flat I mirror it and then rotate the parts so that the common edge is more or less continuous. I usually do a few trials at the same time to see which amount of rotation gives me the best result when I make the part.

I count on the properties of the card to allow me to "bulge" the part a little as I form it, rather than relying on small flat surfaces.

As the "domed" part gets larger I will opt to divide the original 3D piece into more and more sections.

There was a Rhino based thread a while back where I posted images of this process. The thread was not started by me. That thread might be a good place to go for step-by-step.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

According to the NcNeel website, it is for "moderately deformed objects", which means that there has to be some splitting on complex compound curves. Like everything else in Rhino, there are a lot of different ways to come up with the same result. I am so stuck on Running Rails, because of the limitations of paper, I think I'll play with this a little more to see if it saves effort. I was wondering if a shortcut would be to make the shape slightly oversize and then "Split surface by Isocurve" command to get the boundaries where you want them (using the outline of the part you are fitting into, or creating a boundary, extruding it, and then using it as a cutting tool) ). I think I just had a brain fart.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Quote:
it is for "moderately deformed objects",
Nails the point. In the end of day, if you build your surface nailed with zero curvature, UnrollSrf shouldn't cry. If your curvature was slightly off-zero, Smash or Squish comes to the aid. The choice is yours and in the end they don't give you that much difference. If you have a severely curved surface and flattened it nonetheless, chances are you or your potential testbuilders won't be able to build that part anyway, for which I couldn't care less about how you flattened your part.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Hello,
Is it a method to see the form of the original curves on a lofted surface when squished?
Thank you in advance for answer.
Regards,
Andrulex
Old 12-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrulex View Post
Hello,
Is it a method to see the form of the original curves on a lofted surface when squished?
Thank you in advance for answer.
Regards,
Andrulex
I believe because a moderately powered computer can execute these commands on the average of 1 to 2.5 seconds, you really should just try them out and see if it is something you can use. As far as using the lofting command, when lofting from a curve network, judicious splitting of the surface you just lofted with the SQUISH command can yield some really nice surfaces. Recently, the author of this thread shared a technique which enlightened me and wish I have repeated here, and added a step I have started using. Rhino=experimentation. Goldenbear's generosity in sharing his knowledge, as well as Gil's, because if Gil signs of on it, you just got the double whammy approval and know that is the way worth experimenting with, and their works speaks for themselves. The key is moderately deformed pieces. Which means, reducing your lofted surface to surfaces who's segments are moderately deformed. IMHO.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Squish - line on surface

Zathros, thanks for your answer. Let me explain further what I mean: the lofted surface is the shell of a boat. Material is steel. Inside are the frames that give the shape of the boat. The frames are perpendicular to the skin. On this curved (lofted) surface I will mark the curves of the frames. I make templates from the frames. If i squish the surface I would like to see the marked lines of the frames.Of course these are not straight anymore, there are deformed. Later on I will bend the flat surface according the templates from the frames obtaining the nice curved surface again. In order to check the form, I put the templates on the marked curve on the shell plate. So the question is the following: if I draw a curve (line) on the lofted surface, is it possible to see the shape of this curve (line) on the squished surface? Thanks a lot for answers.
Regards,
Andrulex
Google Adsense